Big rear disc brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big rear disc brakes

Think I have found aftermarket Big Brake Kits that will fit the rear axle assembly.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

oooo
    definitely share when confirmed

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hopefully some one can answer this. What years did they keep this axle flange style on Panthers. This is a shot of a 87 rear. I know they changed later think same but vertical instead of horizontal.

Bolt pattern is 2.00 x 3.3345 measured with my calipers. Parts a bit rusty so could be off a tad on the length

Click image for larger version

Name:	8.8 AXLE FLANGE GM CW 003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1277585

------------> front of vehicle
      Last edited by turbo2256b; 05-26-2015, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Going by axle tube flange dimensions any of these should fit.

These are 9" small bearing kits.

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...lg=15&off=2.50

There are also other kits from other companies but haven't found info on their dim for axle offset which is 2.5 on the 87 rear. Some ford rears have a 2 5/8 offset. I did measure a exploder rear that was 2 5/8 offset
        "Right Stuff" makes a kit
        "SSBC" makes a kit

Comment

Here are flange dims from Willwoods site
          Attached Files

Comment

This kit should work but would have to talk with them as they list a different axle tube OD. If so this would be about the cheapest and use a factory master cylinder.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-zdcrd02

Comment

SSBCs cheepest kit that should fit one again have to call and talk to them

http://ssbrakes.com/i-10092431-disc-...or-a111-2.html

They have several other versions.

You dont even want to know the cheapest Gerling disc kits.
              Last edited by turbo2256b; 05-26-2015, 10:17 PM.

Comment

I know the brakes from an 03+ sit different than the older. I also know that the flanges are the same from 82-97 at least. Not quite sure about 79-81, don't know what rear is in there. 82 was an 8.5, 83+ should be an 8.8, which is the same housing. If 79-81 is an 8.5, those also should be the same. I don't claim to know what exactly lives on a 98-02 rear.

03+ does give a vented rotor vs the solid, but the calipers sit a bit silly and you have to pull them off to angle them properly for bleeding. As long as you don't mind that, it does work. I have personally seen this installed on Jay's 89 wagon.
                Last edited by gadget73; 05-26-2015, 11:18 PM.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think the 98 and newer are the same flange as the 87 style but vertical instead of horizontal not sure if the actual dimensions are the same guessing they are as one guy did use the newer brakes but has to rotate them to bleed the calipers.

Fitted up the one of the above Wilwood kits looks like it will work.

Comment

2005 rear caliper bracket

1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

I was hoping to just use these brackets when the time came...I guess maybe not.

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

They work, but the calipers sit at the top, not front and back like the others do. The caliper has to be bled without mounting it to the bracket, otherwise the bleeder isn't all the way at the top.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          They work, but the calipers sit at the top, not front and back like the others do. The caliper has to be bled without mounting it to the bracket, otherwise the bleeder isn't all the way at the top.
                          I like how the '03+ have both rear calipers mounted.

Comment

Yes, but the axle flanges are 90* off compared to a pre 98, so the caliper sits in a funky way.
                            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Right. On a box or aero they will not sit like they do on an 03. They will sit at the top.

Comment

Working...
                              X