96 Mercury....Is it the end???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

96 Mercury....Is it the end???

So Friday I was driving home and we live in AZ...I felt the trans shift a bit harder from 1st to 2nd...I drove home and you could here the first gear lag on and the bump light kick to 2nd....After work today I was driving home and decided to look into this...And held the brake down and pressed the gas and slip-BOOM the wheels chirped...Checked the fluid level and It seemed a quart low...or less low....I put some MercV in and it still seems to do it. I tested WOOT and it sorta rumbled and the lightly kicked into 1st then slipped half way through 1st. I tested 4 and it did something never before...I bucked and and bumped and went back to 3rd.

Here's the funny part...out of rage...I went 55 MPH and then slammed HARD on the brakes while jerking the wheel left and right and came to a smoooky, messy stop. I just stayed there and said WORK!! AND smashed the gas petal down and the car peeled out a bit and roared through 1st gear and seem-less into 2nd??? WTF!!!

Any more info ? ? Let me know and ill get it for you.
    316XXX R.I.P??? 1996 Mercury 4r70w???

A quart low, it'll lag shifting and slop shift. Level back up it should be fine. Got a small leak somewhere. I have the same problem with my 93. Small leak. Use a quart every 6 months. Meh. I know where the leak is too. Meh. Not bad enough yet.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

When was the last time the pan was dropped for a fluid/filter change? Might also have a broken spring in the 1-2 accumulator causing issues. Could be time to drop the valve body and J-mod it.
      These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

I was also thinking wonky 1-2 accumulator. Its a known problem with the aode and early 4r70w.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00185.html
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was also thinking wonky 1-2 accumulator. Its a known problem with the aode and early 4r70w.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post

WEIRD!!!!

I dorve the C.V. Touring Sedan today (BTW needs a new trans)

And let Black Death sit a while...Any ways I drove around in this morning, after adding a quart of trans oil...and it seemed fine then after 7 mins 4th started going in-out in out rpms up and then when the pedal was let go the car would drop to third maybe 2nd??? Cause the car got a "HEAVY" feel then when the pedal was pressed thud kick light boom OD on...all this and NO OD light flashed. Then I parked it cycled the gears checked level (IDLE , HOT, LEVEL SURFACE) and it came up at or some-where above the hatched line....

Then after listening and remembering all the good times in this car...I decided to try it again and WTF!!!
            1st sound and shifted flawlessly at WOOT and 4th spitted abit and was flawless! I went up a hill in fourth and it moved to third as the hill got steeper and back to 4th W/O any trouble and I tested a couple WOOT highway passing maneuvers and FINE!!! ALL FINE, I did a 3/4 throttle 1st gear launch. perfect!!

Here is the catch...after all this the trans dip stick was pretty hot? I smelled it and looked at and it smelled sweet and no particles. Last time the service was done??

IDK I bought the car 2 years ago...it sat for the better part of this year. due to the water pump.

I am not going to drive it but, I do need her.

Any test you guys want me to do?

Comment

Working...
            X