2008 Grand Marquis LS/Ultimate Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2008 Grand Marquis LS/Ultimate Edition

They got an 08 Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition in on trade at work from a little old guy that bought it new. As soon as I saw it parked out front I was hoping someone was trading it in... I was in luck. They put him in a Camry or Corolla or something.

Only 100,000km (60,000mi) on the odometer, 4.6 2v motor. Not sure what transmission but I'm guessing 4r70w or a variant. I looked up the axle codes and it's C8 which is a 2.73 open, nothing too exciting there. Air bags in the back, power everything. Single exhaust, which might change in the future. I don't want it very loud, I've already got one that's plenty loud. Factory duals with the quietest mufflers I can find probably.

My only complaint is that I can't get traction control to turn off, it's like the switch doesn't work. I'm gonna pop the trim panel off and check for power at the switch when I get around to it. I know it's only got granny gears but I'd like to be able to chirp that one tire from time to time.

It seems as though it's been very well looked after. All it needed were front sway bar bushings and they put them in for me. Well, I put them in What kind of sense does that make - I got paid to put parts on a car that I'm paying them for.

dig it:

Going to keep the Escape for my fiancee and mother to use, and the 90 Crown Vic is going to be the toy and the one I'll race. My plans involve a Vortec motor from a 1/2 or 3/4 ton Chebby truck and some big wide tires.
    Last edited by 1990LTD; 06-01-2015, 07:53 PM.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Not sure if the LS and Ultimate Edition are the same thing. The decklid says LS and so do the papers, and it's got Ultimate Edition badges on the side. I don't really care what it is, it's mine!

Apparently it's a 4r75E transmission same as the trucks.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
      I got paid to put parts on a car that I'm paying them for.
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

hey... dealer prep... you'll be paying for that too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Very nice, looks all loaded up. Don't see the fog lights and those wheels really often.
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

You will love it. Factory duals are stainless and are quiet. They do have a nice sound when you wind it out. It is not loud at all but I love that quiet sound of 240hp? being rung out of that v8.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Ultimate Edition was an LS, but it means you have ALL the options heated leather, digi dash (if full digital still available, etc), the only separate option I could find on the earlier ones was dual vs single exhaust and the side impact airbags in the seats. Though '08 the side airbags may have been required equipment by then, I'm too lazy to look it up. LSE is the Grand Marquis version of the Crown Vic sport, floor shift, with Y-spoke alloy rims, much rarer than the CV Sport (I forget what year run '01 or '02 to like '04 or so).
              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                hey... dealer prep... you'll be paying for that too.

Which is why I shouted obscenities across the shop at the guys detailing it. Told them I know that they're thieving pricks and I counted the pennies in the cupholder when I bought it, and if any were missing it'd be coming off of their pay. We have a good time.
                sigpic

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Be sure to get undercoating done before winter.
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Looks pretty.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks!

I'll get some better pictures on the weekend when it's nice out. Been raining like a motherfucker lately.

After driving it to/from work and around town for a couple of days....damn. Smooth. The air suspension is nice.

Also had to do a bit of a panic stop today and it's a night and day difference from my 90. That should go without saying since the rotors are bigger and it's got discs out back but damn it was a surprise. No ABS events either.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yay another whale! And a sunroof, I'm jealous. Car looks great.

@Sxcpotatos, no full Digital Dash after 2005 I believe. 2006 was the first year for the new tach/digital info center hybrid.
                          1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

Yeah it's got a big tach and speedo, smaller sideways fuel and temp gauges and a digital info center in the middle. Odometer, trip, oil change reminder etc

Gonna service the brakes on all 4 corners this weekend just so I know it's done. Doesn't look like it's been done recently. Other than that, all of the maintenance/fluids appears to be tip top - No idea how old the plugs are but at 100k they're probably OE. I'll yank the easiest ones to get to and see how they look.
                            Last edited by 1990LTD; 06-04-2015, 07:21 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                              Single exhaust, which might change in the future. I don't want it very loud, I've already got one that's plenty loud. Factory duals with the quietest mufflers I can find probably.
                              Definitely do it, the single exhaust is even more restrictive on 4.6 Panthers and I don't know about you but I noticed my TC got better mileage with the duals.

An easy way for you would be pick up junkyard duals, or order factory stainless from a dealer if you want it new, then get Magnaflow 18" case offset/offset mufflers, and those should weld-in without any extra pipe required, so no splices of cheap muffler-shop aluminized steel, keep it all stainless. That'll keep it nice and quiet and flow probably 3 times as well as it does now.

That'll also help you peel out easier.
                              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Working...
                              X