{Fuel System} Fuel Pump Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{Fuel System} Fuel Pump Replacement

Well, I replaced my fuel pump today. Replaced with a Motorcraft factory replacement. Was actually pretty easy to do. Took no more than 4 hours with all the cleaning I did. Once I got down to it I decided it would be easier to just take the tank all the way out to swap the fuel pump. So, since it was out I cleaned it up and painted it fresh.

First step is to disconect all the wires and hoses going to the tank. There is one hose on the top of the frame in the driver side rear fender well. Then there are two hose on top of the frame in the passenger side rear fender well. One of thes two is just hushed on, so just tug that off. The other line on this side, alond with the one on the driver side have a special clip. If you have replacement clips then go ahead and rip them out. If not, they are a bitch to remove without breaking! It's a fork haped clip. Two prongs, one on each side of the pipe. One one prong has a retaining lip. Once you find which one it is, then just hold down the retaining lip while you pull. Sounds simple, but it can be a pain in the ass. Be carefull, and good luck with it. (Yes, I did remove both without damaging them so it can be done.)

Then disconnect the sender wires (these are the signal wires for the fuel tank fill level sensor). They are the onle plug on the tank that is visable when the tank is installed. Just pull it off. Last is the fuel pump power wires. Located all the way at the top.

Then remove the two metal strapt that are holding the gas tank up. (Note: Use a jack to hold the tank in place while you do this) There is only one bolt per strap. Located at the top of the tank. The other end is held in by a pin. Once the bolt is reomove the tank will fall some, be carefull that it doesn't fall all the way out. And also be very carefull with these straps, if they get bent at all it makes them ten times more of a bitch to get back in. They are just long enough, and every bend makes them shorter. To remove this pin, simply poke a nail though the small whole and push the pin out the big whole. Straps are now out.

The fill tube for the gast tank is not held in by anything. So as you drop the tank it will pull itself out of the tank (it may be stuck, just give it a good pull and it should come out).

Now that the tank is out, it's a good time to clean it up and such as I did. If you don't have time for a complete clean, then at least clean around the fuel pump, so that nothing gets in the tank.

To remove the fuel pump assembly, you must remove the retaining ring. You will need a screw drived and a hammer to get thise lose. Rotate it conter clockwise to get it off. Once that is lose then inclip all the hoses from the tank, and remove the assembly. (Note, when removing be sure not to let the filter fall off. It's not a huge deal, but it will keep you from having to reach in and grab it.)

Up next is the actual fuel pump replacement. Disconnect the power and ground wires from the pump (don't worry, they are different sizes so you can't missmatch them). Unclamp the whose to the pump. Both the puck up screen and the big rubber thing are just pushed on. To just tug them off. And the pump will fall out. Clean everything up, and install the new one. One thing to note, when re-installing the assembly, if you have a new gasket use vasalene to hold it in place while you manuver the assebmly into place.

Now do everything backwards and you'll be done.

Reminder, use the jack again to hold the tank in place while re-installing the straps, and connect the hoses first, so that you know they don't get pinched anywhere.

Good Pics. another thing you should have mentioned. make sure you have below a 1/4 tank of gas. Not only will it not leak but it will be substantially lighter. I removed mine with about 17 gallons in it. thats about 100 pounds extra, not fun when you are doing it by yourself, with the car on the ground.
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf
      Good Pics. another thing you should have mentioned. make sure you have below a 1/4 tank of gas. Not only will it not leak but it will be substantially lighter. I removed mine with about 17 gallons in it. thats about 100 pounds extra, not fun when you are doing it by yourself, with the car on the ground.
      LOL, I bet that was a bitch heheh. Yeah, I had mine down to E, which turned out to be about 2-3 gallons

Comment

So, just a stock vic replacement I see.
        So, how's it run? Any better?
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

It livened it right up, however the glitch I am having is still there. FYI, the stock Vic pump is far ample for an HO. The fuel pump in our vic is the frame mount pump that is used on the trucks. They are the same pump that is used on the EFI 460s, which stock uses 24# injectors. So flow is not an issue.

Again I was not able to get it to the shop to formaly diag the Vic :-(

Comment

Hmm, interesting.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

great work! the tank sure cleaned up nice. Are our tanks made of stainless steel?
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
                great work! the tank sure cleaned up nice. Are our tanks made of stainless steel?
                No, just went and stuck a magnet to mine

Comment

nevermind!!! I see evidence of paint
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf
                    No, just went and stuck a magnet to mine
                    Actually not all stainless steel is non-magnetic. I don't believe the are stainless though. It did clean up really good. When I was putting the paint on I couldn't tell what I had painted and what I had not.

Comment

stainless is slightly magnetic (i deal with stainless all day on boats) however the magnet stuck like it does to steel, and if a tank was stainless it would weigh a lot more.

Comment

FCC Stainless is completely non-magnetic. And it's also freakin heavy as balls.

Comment

I agree, my new stainless mufflers are about as heavy as my balls :heyhey:

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                          '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                          '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Archived!

-GMGT
                            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

No they are definetly not, Mine rusted and is now leaking. I wish they were stainless.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                              My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Working...
                              X