Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Engine Oil Leak

All,

Any ideas what could be common reasons why my engine would be leaking in the back? The front of my car is bone dry. I actually have to throw another coat of rust paint on the oil pan because it's getting surface rust. The rear of the engine is wet though. That emission exhaust piping for the AIR system that crosses under the trans has oil on it to the point it basically drips off.

It looks like it's coming from high up, but I wasn't able to see anything conclusive peering in with my flashlight. Valve covers? Intake?

Also, I'm looking to replace the hoses that run under the plenum. Does anyone know what hoses I need for that and if there's a lot of stuff that needs to be disconnected?

Thanks!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

PCV valve come loose, screen clogged, grommet bad, lower intake gasket bad, valve cover gaskets bad, rear main seal, oil pan seal... I think that's all the usual suspects.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks.

So it looks like the only real big PITA ones would be the rear main seal and the oil pan seal. I'm going to rule out oil pan as the oil is leaking up higher than that. (Unless it's leaking as well as somewhere else which is possible).

I'm guessing when I take the plenum off, it should be a little easier to tell right?

PCV valve and screen are < 2 years old. Grommet might be bad... I didn't replace that.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

The rear main seal and the back of the pan gasket are rarely the problem. Oil coming down from above is way more common. Have a look back there with a flashlight. If the top of the trans is all juicy, its coming down from the top.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Even when I did replace the PCV grommet, I had to use ultra black RTV between the grommet and the lower intake to keep it from leaking in the Mad Marquis.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Awesome. Thanks guys. I'll take another look and see what I find.

Comment

Could be the rear of the valve cover(s). I recently had to retighten the valve cover studs (replaced the bolts years ago) because they had gotten loose. If you haven't changed the valve cover gaskets recently, you might want to check them. My CV leaks mostly when standing still.

My Ranger leaks when running. Valve covers have stripped bolts (possibly the holes too). They don't leak when it's parked like my mom's CV does. I think it's the rear main seal. Go through a quart of oil a week now. I will fix the leak or discard the engine; whichever is fastest.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                Even when I did replace the PCV grommet, I had to use ultra black RTV between the grommet and the lower intake to keep it from leaking in the Mad Marquis.
                I used large heat shrink with a fairly heavy wall to make the PCV valve fatter. That makes the grommet seal pretty good. The grommets you can get are not quite exactly the right size, so things fit loose.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

this grommet fit to the valve pretty good... but not to the intake.

Comment

Working...
                  X