Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stock rebuild kit with forged internals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock rebuild kit with forged internals?

Searched up on this to no avail..... I'm getting real tired of the lopo knock. Plan to get the lopo rebuilt next year and then change the firing order to HO variety so I can run a Lunati torque cam AND prevent the stupid knock from coming back due to excessive main bearing wear.

Found this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fe...crown-victoria

But I really don't know much about what brands to buy or what brands to stay away from. Is the linked rebuilt kit any good? I don't hear the name "Federal Mogul" come up much in discussion on stock rebuilds..... Assuming the Federal Mogul stuff is junk, anyone know of a good stock 302 rebuild kit with forged internals that I can buy when the time comes?
    Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 06-09-2015, 09:55 PM. Reason: Added some context.
    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Your local machine shop will do all this for you.

Aren't you planning some stroker build anyways? Seems silly to waste money doing a stock rebuild, a lopo will run forever knocking away. Or try to find a low mileage JY explorer/ HO engine, then at least you get a some extra power as well.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I would troll around corral classifieds and craigslist for a cheap shortblock, stock HO or bailed project. Depending on the bore condition it may need machine work (bore & hone), so a 4.030" piston is needed. If you're going for a 'rebuild' as cheap as possible, just toss in some new bearings and cross your fingers. For this kit the wrist pins would need to be pressed out of your current rods/pistons and into the new pistons.

Comment

Federal Mogal is Moog, Felpro etc. They are far from junk...

Comment

Honestly unless you're looking for a lot of boost or laughing gas (nitrous), a hypereutectic piston is a fair bit cheaper without actually being any worse in terms of durability. If you have the option, maybe consider finding an HO or Exploder block to work with as a starting point. Those have hyper or forged pistons, and if you can get by without it needing to be bored out you've saved some coin and don't have to take the car apart for an extended period to get the motor together.

Pretty sure I'm running Sealed Power hyper pistons, which are a Federal Mogul company. Mine looked to have crosshatch marks, but the pistons flopped in the bore and it needed a .020 to make the holes round again. Thats not a standard oversize, and they can be near impossible to find but you can rebuild it twice at that. .030 is typical, but .040 is about the max you can get on a 302 block before you need to worry about having it sonic checked for wall thickness. Its also real difficult to get a .010 over to make things right if you're already at a worn out .030 bore. The machine shop that did my motor did a few others. I remember the motor in Tom's white car was .030 because he could not find the .020 pistons anymore.
          Last edited by gadget73; 06-10-2015, 08:09 PM.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X