No announcement yet.

1988 TC Air Ride Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Conti is odd. I kinda dig them, but they aren't everybody's cup of tea. The 82-83 were actually coil sprung cars, using the same front end parts as the Mustang SVO. They look more like a Grenada or Versailles too. Makes sense, given that it was basically the replacement for the Lincoln Grenade.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'd trade my TC for one of those or a Mark VII if someone offered, just wouldn't sell mine to go buy one. Interiors of the Conti's are swanky and 80's futuristic, that I like. Always have to admire them when I see one in a yard.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Dunno, for a DD I think a Towncar is a much better choice just because its not such a complicated mess. The Mark VII is a fun car, don't get me wrong, but its a hell of a lot more complicated to keep working correctly. I own one, but I don't think I want it as an only car and probably not even as a daily driver if I had a backup.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have to keep fighting that urge to have a Mark VII as a DD and wisdom like yours helps with that fight. My pops had a 1990 from 2000-2008 IIRC that he drove daily and aside from replacing all the air bags, some brake lines, oil pan & a trans rebuild it never let him down. As a teenager I raced my buddies 300M and beat it by a smidge. Dad offered me the car before he gave it to his brother (who totalled it within 5 months ) but I thought it was too rusty to own, the engine bay was all skuzzy and thought the MPG's would kill me going to work. Never thought I'd regret that decision. Perhaps because of that whever I see one, I want to own one lol.

Comment

The odd thing with those is you need one that has been used regularly if you want to use it regularly. Those lower mileage "sat in storage for the last 15 years" cars are the ones that fall apart. Mine has 246k on it, and it runs like a watch. Its had a LOT of replacement suspension and other parts though just because they have worn out. Those cars with 100k are not only 25-30 years old now, they are at the mileage where all the stuff is worn out, so you get old age failures with high mileage failures all at once.

Rust is definitely an issue. They have this rear window drain channel that rots out, and then water runs in the trunk and rots out the rear quarters. Thats what ails mine currently. They rust in other places too, and body parts are as bad or worse to find for those as they are for boxes. Lower production numbers, and I would expect they had a shorter average lifespan so a lot of that supply is just gone now.

Fuel economy would surprise you though. Mine does a little better than the Towncar. I get 21-22 mpg from it, and ones that aren't quite so aged will do mid 20s. I know a guy who did a 5 speed swap in an otherwise stock one and claimed breaking 30 mpg with it. In terms of basic airflow, they are a whole lot more aerodynamic than a box.

If you find a decent one, buy it but I'd keep it more as a second / weekend car. Also, they suck in the snow, and thats a serious concern where you live. Never back one up into a pile of snow. The back end will come up, the air springs will deflate, and you are absolutely screwed. The one time I did that, it took me a week to get the car out of the driveway.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              The odd thing with those is you need one that has been used regularly if you want to use it regularly. Those lower mileage "sat in storage for the last 15 years" cars are the ones that fall apart. Mine has 246k on it, and it runs like a watch. Its had a LOT of replacement suspension and other parts though just because they have worn out. Those cars with 100k are not only 25-30 years old now, they are at the mileage where all the stuff is worn out, so you get old age failures with high mileage failures all at once.

Rust is definitely an issue. They have this rear window drain channel that rots out, and then water runs in the trunk and rots out the rear quarters. Thats what ails mine currently. They rust in other places too, and body parts are as bad or worse to find for those as they are for boxes. Lower production numbers, and I would expect they had a shorter average lifespan so a lot of that supply is just gone now.

Fuel economy would surprise you though. Mine does a little better than the Towncar. I get 21-22 mpg from it, and ones that aren't quite so aged will do mid 20s. I know a guy who did a 5 speed swap in an otherwise stock one and claimed breaking 30 mpg with it. In terms of basic airflow, they are a whole lot more aerodynamic than a box.

If you find a decent one, buy it but I'd keep it more as a second / weekend car. Also, they suck in the snow, and thats a serious concern where you live. Never back one up into a pile of snow. The back end will come up, the air springs will deflate, and you are absolutely screwed. The one time I did that, it took me a week to get the car out of the driveway.
              Couldn't agree more on the mileage vs age as that has been and continues to be my experience (1988 GMC we bought with ONLY 66k!!! ) Only thing that sways me with low mileage is the potential of a clean car and less wear on the mechanicals, I'd rather not have to deal with replacing a motor or rear end but then again, low mileage also seems to lead to collapsed lifters, stiff u-joints, dry rot, blah blah.

Dad had his repainted, was that silver color and was really nice but the decklid had rust at the edges, door edges and maybe even around where the hinges for the doors were. I think the door ajar light was always on just before he gave it away. It was all this hard to see/hidden rust that worried me.

Oh I remember that well! I used to use the tripminder feature on his and even as a leadfooted teenager I'd try to see how high I could get that number to go, never liked how it wouldn't stay on 'instant' fuel econ, would go to that for a few seconds and then defer to tank average.. It was just as you say though, 21-22, which is far better than the townies do but I would've been going from my '94 Grand Am and it's fourbanger that got 35mpg on the highway to that, and I had a daily commute of 70ish miles yet made peanuts. Grand Am had working A/C.. Lincoln had rust, seat covers, scuzzy engine bay and other nickle & dimers that I thought would put me in a hole. I thought it was shot although I realize now it wasn't bad at all and if I could turn back time I'd take it. A five speed swap would be sweet and I'd love to do that if I ever got one. I'm surprised how many people balk at shifting their own gears and the excuses they come up with. Less moving parts=less opportunities for failure. If it was possible to get whatever vehicle I'm considering with a stick, then I wait until that pops up.

Haha, sounds like that was a good time. I want to say dad's VII was better in the snow then his LS but that's just me. He'd always do doughnuts and whatnot lol. He once backed into a pile of dirt and somehow that killed the trans. I'm guessing the shock took out what was left of the plastic doofrad on the TV cable. He also backed into my Grand Am with it too. The ole "I'm not used to your car being where it is, your fault." I will certainly keep an eye out for one though. Yours is the SE, triple black which is sexy, I'd certainly want red, black or a blue interior. Grey is just too bland and common for me.

Comment

If you ever find a titanium SE in reasonable shape, buy it. Its a dark metallic grey color, and I want to say it was 1990 only. Low production, fairly rare, and definitely cool looking. They are de-chromed too, the trim is all black on those. Its not that light silver color that I expect your dad's was.

Comment

Even the grill was dechromed? I'd love that... Were those triple grey or could you get it with red interior? Something sexy about grey/silver or black with red interior... When dad was in the market for a VII I remember going with him to look at a bunch but only remember him coming across one much like yours, an SE that was triple black and that SE badge on the fender. That thing was mint and I tried to get him to buy it but the trans shifted funny (if only I knew now what I did not know then) so he didn't buy it. It was in much better shape than the silver one he bought and was even cheaper. Owners tried covering up the trans bit but still, what did dad have to do with the VII he eventually bought??? lol. I love how plush the VII's are, how tight they feel and well built. Just damn sexy from the rear and quarter panel forward. I've never rode in a Bill Blass but like those pillowed seats, although my lower back would probably prefer the bolster adjustment of the LSC. BB's also had a softer ride certain years didn't they?

Comment

This will probably explain it better

Not totally sure on the interior coloring. The two I have seen were both grey inside. I think the black one at least could be had with other colors. Someone had a black one with white interior, supposedly called a "tuxedo model". The red ones usually had grey interior, but its possible other colors could be had.

84-89 BB had softer air springs. The seats are also a lot more plushy. The LSC seats are sort of hard, or have gotten hard by now from petrified leather and old foam. My driver's seat is much more comfortable than the passenger seat is, that thing sucks. The back seat is probably the most comfortable in the car though.
                    Last edited by gadget73; 06-19-2015, 07:07 PM.

Comment

That's purty, I've never seen them in that color before. I'd like to demo a 88-89 BB. Dad's was an LSC and those seats were pretty firm, even after adjustments. Isn't there some sort of main wiring harness that runs through the front bumper? Years ago I over heard a convo between my pops and some dude that got in a wreck with one but couldn't get it to start afterwords until he figured out that several wires got snapped behind the bumper..

No progress made with either TC's air ride. Weekend was spent fixing things on that GMC...

Comment

Its not through the bumper, but there is a harness up there for the lighting and such. It hangs out closer to the rad support.

Comment

Alrighty then, I'll work on deleting that little memory nugget.

Comment

GMC has kinda stopped crying so I think I'll be able to get to the TC'S but I've got a stupid question: Can I use that schrader valve to check if the bags are holding air? Looks like a standard issue gauge will fit. If they do indeed hold air about how much is average with the car unloaded?

Thankie,

Derek

Comment

It may. Its more intended for filling the shocks, but since these have no solenoid valve at the shock it should have pressure at the valve.

Hit it with an air compressor and see if the back end moves. If it doesn't do anything, that'll tell you.

Comment

That's a great idea, thanks gadget! I'll do that on my way home today.

Comment

Working...
                                X