No announcement yet.

1988 TC Air Ride Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checked the system before adding air, 0psi. Added air until machine shut off, 0psi, car ride height still the same (Bob Seger is playing in background..). Ok looks like my car will need new bags and a compressor, guess the old bags leaked and then the compressor worked itself until it died, like you said. What bags can I buy that are most like the original bags? I see some compressors on EBay so I'll try to nab one.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

This is the 88 TC right? Shocks not bags right?

The selection is limited. Rock Auto shows two different Monroe air shocks. I can't remember which are in my wagon.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Yessir!
        Air shocks not bags, yeah... Monroe's sound like quality, which ones require the least modification to work? I read something about needing new tee fittings or something before...

Ashley's 89 will most likely need the same package though.

Comment

if you have the original ford shocks they had a "t" mounted right into the shock. Monroe has a kit, nothing big here, the kits are mentioned on rock auto with the shock listing. Rock probably sells the kit but I did not check for that.

You run the existing air line to the new "t" then a new line, also from the kit, to each shock. The fun part is the removal of the top shock nut.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Cool beans, I love "fun" lol. Thanks Jay, I'll get on rock auto and see what the dealio is.

Comment

basically you get Monroe or Gabriel for air shocks. Not sure that one is much better than the other TBH.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Alrighty, I ordered up a pair of Monroe MA815 shocks, the AK14 hose kit and a Motorcraft air compressor, part number E9AZ-5319-A (Hope that's the right one, looks like it is.). Now we just gotta wait. Going to check out Ash's car soon.. That stuff all sound right to you guys?

Looks like the compressor has a different part number than what was on the box. Take a look:
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/281339407383...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                Looks like the thing in the car just without the black paint and such...
                Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 06-27-2015, 11:39 AM. Reason: Include ebay listing of compressor.

Comment

So we tested mine just a little bit ago and before we added air, mine was also at 0psi. Derek added air while I kept an eye on the rear. Within seconds, I was able to see it rising. As soon as he stopped adding air, it was again reading at 0psi and you could see it lowering about as quickly as it rose.
                  We also ordered up a pair of shocks and a compressor for mine, nabbing the hose kit shortly.
                  1989 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

Parts look right. Usually where these fail is the air bladders crack and won't hold air anymore. If thats all it is, no problem. Unfortunately sometimes the compressor dies too. Check the relay first though, its possible it burned out or the fuse link feeding it gave. I don't know where they moved the relay too. On an 86 its in the trunk, but mine also had the compressor and the control module back there. In 87 the compressor at least moved up front. I think the module is still in the back. Don't know about the relay, but it would make sense to live up front.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

All that stuff actually works on mine! We found out the other day when fiddling with the amp in the trunk. Thought I heard hissing from under the car and so I looked under the hood and the compressor was humming away with Ashley in the trunk. Odd it didn't do that at the meet-up several months ago. Looks like we have a spare compressor now though, lol.

Comment

Thought I'd update this:
                        Shocks were put on, leaks at T-fitting addressed by pushing the hoses into their connectors more and everything works as it should!

I have a question about the sensitivity of the system though. Should it respond to small loads that drop the car only about 1/4 - 1/2"? Or does it only respond in steps? Seems as if I have to make it drop about 3/4" or more before it kicks on and adjusts the ride height.
                        I read this article:
                        http://www.slideshare.net/strutmaste...rairsuspension
                        Based on the content the system should respond to any extra weight added, so long as it's enough to cause the little arm on the sensor to move..
                        Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 09-15-2015, 11:45 AM.

Comment

A side note

Is there anything you could do to prolong the life of the rubber bladders on the shocks? armor all??
                          "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                          -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                          -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I've asked about that for my air springs and haven't gotten much response. I was thinking tire conditioner if it does anything more than improve the appearance, but I haven't tried it. I resorted to cleaning them with WD-40. They say it's safe for rubber, and I'm thinking maybe it would leave a film that would prevent the rubber from drying out. I just use it to clean the air springs and their plastic bases and wipe off as much as I can, particularly to prevent stuff from sticking to it. I recently saw someone recommend silicone spray for rubber bushings since it presumably seals them. I asked about air springs and was told to check with the silicone spray manufacturer. I haven't checked yet and can't promise that I will.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

When I got done fixing my line leaks I sprayed the bejeesus out of everything with Krown T40. Safe for rubber & plastic according to the label and so I kept up until I was covered with it and the car was dripping haha.

Comment

someone tld me a while ago to spray rubber items with the tire foam stuff
                                "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                                -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                                -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X