No announcement yet.

1988 TC Air Ride Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil is bad, armor-all is bad. Oil turns rubber to mush after a while. The most I'd do is a rinse with lightly soapy water to remove any dirt and grit.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Is the sensitivity of the air ride adjustable???
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

nope, just the level.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So it adjusts the height in steps, not actually based on how far the rod has travelled?

Comment

The system is set for a range. Outside that range it either vents or pumps depending on which way. It's basically a 3 way switch. On-Off-On. On in the high position vents. Low position pumps. Off... well... nothing changes if the system is sealed good. At least that's the way it works. It could be a variable resistor for the "level sensor". I've never actually played with one, so I'm not sure which style they used. If it's a variable resistor (more intelligent system), then it goes off a range of values with some overlap between the off state and on states so the system isn't pulsing as you ride over bumps.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Anyway I can fiddle with it so it triggers earlier? If people get into the car it dips a bit but it doesn't operate. Takes a good inch of travel or so to get the thing to want to work and then it pumps back up to where it is supposed to be. I'd like to try to take that "slop" out of the system.

Comment

Its not a standard switch or a VR exactly. I think it may actually be a hall-effect sensor.

But yeah, it has a center "normal" range that it can fluctuate in between and it won't really do anything. Most you might try doing is making the lever on the switch shorter so that it takes less suspension movement to trigger the suspension.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Also there is a timer involved. IIRC it has to stay out of range for 30 seconds or so before the system will activate either up or down. That is how it is kept form reacting to bumps and the like. So you may want to try and give the system a minute to react after you load up the car. I do that and folks sometimes get impatient, I have heard, 'Really? You must be kidding' when I sit there and don't move the car right away after everyone gets in.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    Its not a standard switch or a VR exactly. I think it may actually be a hall-effect sensor.

But yeah, it has a center "normal" range that it can fluctuate in between and it won't really do anything. Most you might try doing is making the lever on the switch shorter so that it takes less suspension movement to trigger the suspension.
                    Oh ok. So I'd be adjusting the rod that connects to the link/control arm? I didn't get a good look at it when I was under the car but it appeared to be one of those threaded deals where you can disconnect it, spin it CW or CCW to adjust it's length- correct??

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                    Also there is a timer involved. IIRC it has to stay out of range for 30 seconds or so before the system will activate either up or down. That is how it is kept form reacting to bumps and the like. So you may want to try and give the system a minute to react after you load up the car. I do that and folks sometimes get impatient, I have heard, 'Really? You must be kidding' when I sit there and don't move the car right away after everyone gets in.
                    There certainly is a timer. I wasn't timing it but it seemed to take about 10 seconds before anything would happen and it does seem like the car has to be still before it will respond.

I hear the same thing whenever I start my car and let the fast idle go away. "Why aren't we moving?" Sorry folks but I like to let everything get suspended by oil before I put load on 'em. I've got a buddy who even in the dead of winter is putting his car in gear almost before the starter has even finished disengaging with the flywheel, it's cringe worthy.

Comment

For the air shocks leveling system, is it normal to "level" or "lower a little bit after hours of sitting?
                      "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                      -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Yes
                        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

The system must have changed greatly when they went to air springs in '90. My '01 will adjust if you add 20 lbs. to the weight in the trunk, and will also adjust with even the lightest passengers. Also according to the manual it will adjust when you go over bumps and during certain driving conditons. Also as far as leaking down goes my car has sat for 5 days at a time and has not leaked down any that I can discern.
                          2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Yeah, you 90+ guys got REAL air suspension. If only Ford would've put air bags on all four corners. I would only trade my 88 for a nice Mk. VII or 1990 TC.. The real stuff like you have shouldn't leak at all, if it does there's something wrong. Us box people got cheap air shocks but we still like to say we have "Air ride" even though its a BS claim haha. You should see the level sensor, it's crude looking, sorta looks like the thing in your toilet lol.

Comment

Even the 03 changes height after a while. Always did. Perhaps it is to take the weight off the air springs during periods of inactivity?
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

The air bags in your 03 are the springs, without them the car would sag worse than Rosie O'Donnel's tits.

Comment

Working...
                                X