No announcement yet.

Help! One wheel steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since you have some tension on it already just hit the pitman arm with a hammer. It will come out.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by rezwrrd View Post
      ... If I had any money I might go out and buy a grinder or a torch to get it off, ...
      I would not recommend a torch. You risk messing up the seal.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Hammering doesn't seem to be helping, I think I'm going to need to borrow or buy a grinder.

How hard is it to remove the steering box? I'd rather not open that can of worms right now, but nothing else I'm trying seems to be doing any good and it might make grinding easier.

1995 Grand Marquis GS
        - 156k miles, three-tone until I find my paint
        1990 Toyota Camry DX - 211k miles, someone else's future barn find
        1994 Saturn SW2 wagon - wife's car

Originally posted by SVT98t
        I'll make it fit.
        I own hammers.

Comment

You don't wanto to open that can of worms. Gotta remove three large bolts from the drivers side frame a 12point something holding the steering shaft into the box THEN the low and high pressure fittings from the box. Don;t touch it.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Remove the screw out of the puller and remove the wrench from that end. Once that is off, use a file to repair the flats on the puller enough to get a socket on there.

If it absolutely wont let go, expect to need a new steering box and both of the lines. Theres about zero chance they will come off if the rest of it is this ugly underneath. There is also a possibility that the steering shaft and/or coupler will be in bad shape. The shaft is supposed to slide inside the upper piece, but they are often rusted fast. Fixing that is a real pain in the ass too.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              You don't wanto to open that can of worms. Gotta remove three large bolts from the drivers side frame a 12point something holding the steering shaft into the box THEN the low and high pressure fittings from the box. Don;t touch it.
              +1

Grinding on your back isn't so bad, though you'd probably have to get the car up on jack stands or ramps. Whatever you use, make sure it's done properly.

Use a proper cut-off wheel to lessen the strain on the grinder.

Use proper safety glasses, or even better a full face mask if you can get one. My prescription glasses have safety lenses, but the sparks right royally f'd them up. Sparks on the face are unpleasant too, both the hot ones and the resulting grit.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
              mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

When you get it on the road or give up, I'd take it to a shop and get them to do a full inspection. Rarely do I see cars come in with damage like that where other things aren't an issue. Ball joints, tie rods, end links, a lot of that stuff can be as bad or worse when it lets go.

Even if you don't get the work done at that shop, most would be happy to show you the issues with the car in the air while you get them to do an oil change, tire rotation, or other token job along with the inspection.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                  When you get it on the road or give up, I'd take it to a shop and get them to do a full inspection. Rarely do I see cars come in with damage like that where other things aren't an issue. Ball joints, tie rods, end links, a lot of that stuff can be as bad or worse when it lets go.

Even if you don't get the work done at that shop, most would be happy to show you the issues with the car in the air while you get them to do an oil change, tire rotation, or other token job along with the inspection.

My point exactly! This is NOT a "one part replacement job"!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Grinding wasn't too bad, except that it doesn't seem to have helped. Still won't budge. I could probably cut deeper or make another notch if I could get that puller out of there. I shouldn't have tightened it so much, but I thought the arm was going to pop off if I just tightened it enough. Hindsight is 20/20, I guess.

I was considering cutting an arm of the puller to get it off, but I'm sure with the stress the pieces would fly out in a few directions. Even with goggles I'm not sure I want to attempt that.

I've been spraying WD-40 in the slot and hammering on it from different angles every half hour or so since about ten. (I'm sure the neighbors love me.) I'm getting more and more discouraged, but I'm convinced that if I can get the arm to slip off the rest will be a breeze.

Bobby - I know there's a lot more work to be done. This has been kind of a wake-up call... front suspension shouting "pay attention to me!" I'm looking at those tie rods next.

Thanks everyone for your help so far! I'm going to have another go at getting that puller off.

1995 Grand Marquis GS
                    - 156k miles, three-tone until I find my paint
                    1990 Toyota Camry DX - 211k miles, someone else's future barn find
                    1994 Saturn SW2 wagon - wife's car

Originally posted by SVT98t
                    I'll make it fit.
                    I own hammers.

Comment

PB Blaster?? As you say a "wake up call" for more front end work. We all want you and yours to be safe and those front end parts look bad.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

take a BFH to the broken wrench and whack it back and forth like you're trying to loosen and then tighten. It will come off. I typically use an impact tool on those pullers if not a breaker bar and the impact socket.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Looks like you're need balljoints, tie rods, bushings, and probably shocks. Gonna be a fun project.

2003 Crown Vic HPP- 3.27s. Dual exhaust. 11.25" torque converter, Arnott Limo Duty HPP-rate rear air springs. 205,xxx miles. (Stolen by the old man)
                          1995 Impala SS- 28,293 miles. The Lovely Lady
                          2003 BMW 325i- 113,xxx miles. KYB ZHP(M)-spec struts, Rear M3 shocks, Exhaust butterfly valve delete, USB and Bluetooth playback with stock head unit, Projector Retrofitted lights, Euro-convex mirrors, slotted-not drilled rotors all around.

Comment

The WD-40 probably won't do diddly squat, at least at the top. Mine had so much crap caked on around the shaft that it looked like nothing got through. If you have a little acetone and tranny fluid around, you might want to try the 50/50 mix. I've never tried it myself, but I've read good things.

Before I did my grinding, the puller had gotten to the point where the end against the shaft was flaring out and I was concerned about breaking it. After grinding, the arm slipped right off using the damaged puller.

I don't see why you'd need to cut the puller. If it's on tight, use a hammer like sly said. Once you get it loose, you can do what gadget said.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplian View Post
                              Looks like you're need balljoints, tie rods, bushings, and probably shocks. Gonna be a fun project.
                              I've been presuming at least some things have been changed already, but if not, then yup. Don't forget the idler arm.

Comment

Originally posted by rezwrrd View Post

I'll say! I'm considering myself extremely lucky that this happened at 1 or 2 MPH and not 65-75, and that it was in the driveway where I don't need to have it towed.

That's generally when steering parts give out, at low speeds ie parking lots.

Have a good front end mechanic go over your car with a fine toothed comb. Get your wallet out because you probably need a lot more than that tie rod end.
                                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Working...
                                X