Help! One wheel steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! One wheel steering

I was driving around town on these stupid angled one-way streets and took a sharp left turn a bit too quickly because somebody was coming, and something in the front suspension gave a sudden creak.

Didn't think much of it until I got home and was parking in the driveway, when there was another sudden creak and the left wheel wouldn't go left or right. So I'm stuck in the driveway with one wheel steering... glad I at least made it home.

It's pouring rain so I haven't had a good look at it yet, but I imagine it's something in the linkage. I don't know what any of those parts are called, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

1995 Grand Marquis GS
    - 156k miles, three-tone until I find my paint
    1990 Toyota Camry DX - 211k miles, someone else's future barn find
    1994 Saturn SW2 wagon - wife's car

Originally posted by SVT98t
    I'll make it fit.
    I own hammers.

The last picture in the following link is labelled with that stuff:

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/suspens...ont/index.html

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Inner or outer tie rod gave way on you. DANGEROUS.

Fantastic link BTW.
      Last edited by 87gtVIC; 06-15-2015, 06:29 PM.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
        The last picture in the following link is labelled with that stuff:

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/suspens...ont/index.html
        Thanks! That helps a ton. I should've known 2vmod would have the diagram I was looking for.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        Inner or outer tie rod gave way on you. DANGEROUS.

Fantastic link BTW.
        I'll say! I'm considering myself extremely lucky that this happened at 1 or 2 MPH and not 65-75, and that it was in the driveway where I don't need to have it towed.

1995 Grand Marquis GS

I'll make it fit.
        I own hammers.

Comment

I'd be giving that front suspension a serious shake down and inspection if a tie rod end was loose enough to pop.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

When I needed a tie rod end quickly all I could get was 'the better" China end. Surprise, a few years later, pot hole and bang, broken tie rod end. I should have left the original ford end in there. probably would still be connected.

What is worse is that I had to get another one on a Sunday to fix the broken one and you know what kind I got on a Sunday.

Moral of the story
            Buy a good expensive tie rod end.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

UPDATE: The rain let up a bit, so I had a chance to look at it. Turns out it's no-wheel steering and the center link is no longer connected to the pitman arm. Did the pitman arm snap or something?

Looking under the left side:

1995 Grand Marquis GS

I'll make it fit.
              I own hammers.

Comment

At first I thought, OH MY GOD THE STEERING BOX BROKE! Seen that once in a junkyard before.
                Well the picture looked like that. But the pitman arm is still attached to the box? They tend to wear out, but this should've been noticed during any routine service, also, the noise would've been present for a while before this happened...
                Last edited by 86VickyLX; 06-15-2015, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                  At first I thought, OH MY GOD THE STEERING BOX BROKE! Seen that once in a junkyard before.
                  Well the picture looked like that. But the pitman arm is still attached to the box? They tend to wear out, but this should've been noticed during any routine service, also, the noise would've been present for a while before this happened...
                  There appears to be just a stump sticking up from the center link, but I'm going out again to double check. The rain is supposed to let up within the next hour or so, so I can start jacking it up and crawling underneath.

1995 Grand Marquis GS

I'll make it fit.
                  I own hammers.

Comment

Looks to me like the pitman arm broke.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

When I changed mine, it was practically seized, so I'm not surprised there wasn't any obvious slop to provide a warning. My car would occasionally stall when backing out of my driveway, so I guess that was an indication of strain on the engine from the seized joint. It looks like what happened to rezwrrd is what would've happened to me eventually if it wasn't for the slop I experienced from other sources that led me to change everything.

I'm glad there were no complications BTW.
                      Last edited by IPreferDIY; 06-15-2015, 08:07 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

dayum!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It appears the shaft/spindle inside the small end of the pitman arm popped out. There was a neglected zerk on top of that end of the arm, but the inside was bone dry. Mad at myself for not even thinking to check for grease fittings while changing the oil.

I got the bolt off of the spindle easily enough, but can't get it to budge from the center link. I haven't even started on the big bolt. I know I'll need a pitman arm puller to get the arm off, but is there something I need to get the spindle off of the center link? Or just PB blaster, a BFH, and lots of swearing? Anything else? (Is there a writeup on GMN or CVN somewhere?)

I popped the spindle back into the pitman arm, so I might be able to wheel it across the driveway to get the Saturn out of the garage to go get parts and tools.
                          Last edited by rezwrrd; 06-15-2015, 08:59 PM.

1995 Grand Marquis GS

I'll make it fit.
                          I own hammers.

Comment

For the part stuck in the center link, "just PB blaster, a BFH, and lots of swearing". There might be enough meat on the end of the shaft to use a pickle fork if you have one. My only concern with the BFH would be bending the center link, but I doubt the shaft would be stuck on that good.

When you loosen and tighten the big nut, make sure the steering wheel is locked so that the force is taken by the lock rather than other components. I was amazed at how much force the lock could take. You'll probably need a long cheater bar.

For the Pitman arm, if you can get a grinder with a cutoff wheel, it would probably be worth cutting into the arm near the shaft, but not so close as to mess up the shaft. This will take some of the pressure from the Pitman arm off of the shaft and lessen the risk of wrecking the puller.

I would spray the shaft with some lube before putting the arm on to try to make it easier to remove in the future. The arm is essentially a press fit on the shaft, and the big nut does the pressing. You don't really need a torque wrench as long as you can feel the arm bottom out. (That's what would make the torque wrench click.) If you're lucky, you might not need an alignment, but that's a judgement call on your part.

If you have a small bungee cord that you don't mind getting dirty, that would probably be good enough to hold the center link to the arm for the little bit that you need to move the car.
                            Last edited by IPreferDIY; 06-15-2015, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Damn... it looks like there isn't even enough of the ball left to use a pickle fork! And for as shiny as it is, I'm surprised it wasn't making more noise!
                              Fortunately, turning at low speeds puts more stress on steering parts, so that's usually when they pop, or over a nice bump...
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                              X