PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: advice needed: "easiest" engine swap / rebuild?

'85 Merc Colony Park

Cool

thanks a million, gadget. very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Use reasonable judgement on condition and mileage, etc. I'd take a clean 93 Couger motor over a whooped 97 Explorer any day.
    but if i can get a complete explorer motor for less than $200, i figure i could get a rebuild kit from summit or jegs for also about that, and maybe have refreshed HO for ~$500?

The heads and intake are better on either Explorer engine, but the 93 Couger motor probably has the better cam. Reportedly it uses the Mustang Cobra cam. ... Cobra cam in an Explorer engine works very nicely though, it basically becomes a 1993 Cobra at that point.
    so the cougar cam could go in the explorer motor? (but then which EEC would i need?)

If you're planning to stick with manifolds, 1990 Towncar tubular manifolds will work with P heads, and I'd run them no matter what engine you go with vs the iron lumps.
    so are those "tubulars" the stock manifold on any '90 towncar?

None of these will have timing covers that are useful to you. You'll need a stock one off any box.
    thanks for the tip... these are the kind of details i worry about trying to pull this off.

The Couger oil pan will work, the Explorer pan will not.
    also good to know! hell, a big reason i'm even considering this is because my current pan is jacked.

Explorers also will need the threaded dingus that goes into the block where the oil filter is ... You can in theory steal this from your stock motor, or you can get a new one for not much money.
    not sure i want to google "threaded dingus"...

hmmm... decisions, decisions.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
    thanks a million, gadget. very helpful.

but if i can get a complete explorer motor for less than $200, i figure i could get a rebuild kit from summit or jegs for also about that, and maybe have refreshed HO for ~$500?
    If you're rebuilding, it won't matter a great deal. Still, if one seems to be obscenely well used, skip it. If its too horribly beat it may need a bore job or a crank replacement or something. If it looks like its been rolled, I might pass on that too. I had an intake off a rolled Explorer that had cracks. They were welded up and it was functional but skip that nonsense if you can help it.

so the cougar cam could go in the explorer motor? (but then which EEC would i need?)
    It can. Stock mass air Mustang ECM would control this OK. It would be more OK with some tuning but it'll certainly run and be drivable without it.

so are those "tubulars" the stock manifold on any '90 towncar?
    Yes. One year and one-model part, but all of them got it.

also good to know! hell, a big reason i'm even considering this is because my current pan is jacked.
    Any Fox oil pan also works. They are the same as what we got. The magical Mustang 351 swap oil pan is in fact a Crown Victoria part. The one single part our cars have donated to the high performance world

not sure i want to google "threaded dingus"...

hmmm... decisions, decisions.
    I think its officially named an oil filter adapter, but you've seen it. Remove the oil filter from your car, and its the thing sticking out of the block that the filter threads on to. There is a big hex nut at the base of it, and if you cuss in the right language you can un-screw that from the motor. the Explorers just have the threaded hole in the side of the motor because the oil cooler mounted on that way. Its more or less a pipe nipple, though I don't believe its pipe thread on either end.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

'85 Merc Colony Park

Post to summarize thus far...

okay, mostly for my own good (way too many factors rattling around my brain!), allow me to think out loud:

option 1)
    a near-complete, running 5.0 from a '90 Mustang with 55K miles (sale would not include exhaust or harness/EEC).
    seller reports leaky rear main, but otherwise good -- still in car until sold so i could hear it / drive it.

for this i'd need to at least do seals / gaskets (so probably a rebuild kit anyway); find a '90+ harness and EEC (only from mustang, right, since it would be MAF?); and (if i recall from other threads) "flip" the upper intake and so some minor mods to throttle / TV.

pros: low-ish miles, MAF, "car" engine, seller would pull motor
    cons: not as much potential as explorer swap, more $$ than option 2

option 2)
    a complete junkyard motor from either '96 or '97 explorer, potentially for about $175 if timing is right.

for this i'd need a harness and EEC from either a '90-'91 panther (??) or '86-'88 mustang ... <-- not completely sure if that's right -- but there's a chance it would run "stupid" with SD, so alternately would need to upgrade to MAF from '89+ mustang instead
    i'd still need the rebuild kit, and would need to also replace springs in GT40 heads. i think this upper intake also would need to flipped, etc. also need oil pan from panther or fox.

pros: better internals, better heads, better intake
    cons: technically "truck" motor, but i could pass it off (kinda) as a '93 mustang; MAF-conversion on top of swap; i'd pull motor from yard

in either case i need a new timing cover. i guess in both cases i also need to address exhaust. (so we'll call that a wash.)

what am i forgetting (or getting wrong)?

'85 Merc Colony Park

P.S.
    earlier (important) question i don't think got answered: is my CFI fuel system compatible w/ either of these SEFI swaps??

'85 Merc Colony Park

looking at my own post above: if i went with option 1, i suppose i could upgrade to explorer heads, right? additional $$, but the MAF / EEC would deal with it, right?
    also, my harness would need to be '89-'95 mustang, right (before they went to OBDII)?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123