Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HO reverse waterpump rotation?

Hello,
    If I buy a clutch fan or water pump for a 89 Mk 7 HO block or a 90 Mustang HO block, do they need to be reverse rotation water
    pump or reverse rotation fan clutch?

Would a LOPO water pump or fan clutch work with an HO block?

Can I bolt up a HO Mustang fan and fan shroud to a 90-91 Grand Marquis?

I'm looking into purchasing a fan clutch specified for an HO police 5.0.
    Thank you,
    Mike
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Depends on the accessories. If you have the panther accessories, use a panther water pump. If you have the HO accessories, use the reverse pump.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

You use the water pump that goes with your accessories. Just make sure the pump holes match up with the timing cover. I have no idea why, but the Mark VII timing cover has holes the same direction as we need. It should be wrong for the Mark VII, but whatever Ford did, it manages to work for both. Some trucks had an opposite facing timing cover, and that just won't work.

The fan clutch from a Fox car will probably not work though. You want stock boring panther stuff if you have the stock accessories. The fox pump will definitely not work with panther accessories. Runs backwards, and the flange on it is at a different depth and has a different bolt spacing than the panther stuff has.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Can you find standard rotation water pumps in aluminum nowadays? I had to go cast iron on mine
        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

you can, but its the light duty one with 2 less bolt holes and I think it also has a smaller impeller.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This is depressing, why don't our cars just use cool shit like the mustangs? I love my Fords but every one of them I've owned has given me the opportunity to cuss ford at least a few times a year. WTF were they thinking? When I had the '98 I thought, why the shit did they de-tune a mustang engine for a heavier car and then put everything on it backward? Guess it's just always been that way huh? Fuckers....

Comment

honestly I couldn't give a real answer to that. Why they decided that the intakes needed to face the opposite way or why they needed to have completely different accessory drives is not something that makes sense to me. I know they don't really change over since the plumbing and battery locations are different, but why they started it with the batteries on the opposite sides to begin with is confusing. Seems they could have made it more standard without a lot of work.

The de-tuned engine may have been for torque reasons. The torque peak on the non-HO is much lower, so you can get by with a lot taller rear gearing and still get your highway fuel economy out of it.

Comment

Yeah I can kinda buy the torque thing I guess, but the rest of it really seems ill-conceived. I also get a kick out of reading posts I've made when I've had a few drinks, I am hilarious! Some would disagree but it entertains the hell out of me.

Comment

So would swapping to the serpentine belt system off a mustang or Aftermarket will work on the panther using the reverse W/P? I have thought of doing this to clean up the front of my engine.

Tim
                  2000 Ford Crown Victoria
                  84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
                  85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
                  89 Lincoln town car: RIP
                  89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
                  1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
                  1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
                  2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

Am also interested in this. I reckon the biggest problem would be the a/c lines.

Comment

Stolen from another forum, mustang related, but depending on cover you may have interference from a bolt when using a reverse rotation water pump with a standard rotation timing cover. And passage direction is really the deciding factor to what pump you NEED to use as well. [attachments didn't attach]

Alex.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by GM_Guy; 07-24-2015, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks alex, every bit of information helps on this. Once we get my brother's mustang out of storage and I have ready access I can get some more useful knowledge on the HO stuff.

Comment

That chart on the covers isn't really accurate. For some odd reason at least some foxes and panthers have the same timing cover, even with different rotation water pumps.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?50219
                          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

yeah, I don't quite get that either. The timing cover on my car came from the '88 Mark VII the block came out of. It is functionally identical to the original '86 Towncar cover, though the Mark VII did indeed have a backwards-ass water pump. My 91 Mark VII has the same cover and the same backwards water pump. I have seen that other timing cover on trucks though.

Comment

My canadian 91 merc has the correct timing cover for the sting reverse rotation water pump although the angle that the elongated D shape holes are at, are a little different. 5 minutes with the die grinder on the new pump and timing cover matched things up as the actual round holes themselves lined up, just the ramping into the timing cover was a little different. The plate between the pump and timing cover just has the 2 holes anyways so I opened them up swell to cool the beast lol.
                              Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                              HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Working...
                              X