vinyl dye suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vinyl dye suggestions?

I'm going to need to re-paint some interior bits from a light grey to a darker grey. Any suggestions on brands that hold up well, and have a fair selection of colors? I've never done this before so I would prefer to not get a shitty one that doesn't hold up. Not planning to use this on the seats, door panels, or steering wheel, it would be the stuff around the headliner and other spots where it really doesn't get touched much.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I have used SEM brand dye over Bulldog Adhesion Promoter several times for the 3 rear panels in Mustangs. I don't recall what I cleaned the panels with but they must be thoroughly scrubbed first.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

+1 on SEM. I have used it many time. Good products. Sem makes an adhesion promoter spray. Yes parts have to be clean first. I use just plain dish soap and warm water, rinse and dry very well. Then use the adhesion promoter. primer if you want or just the color coat.

Comment

Looks like SEM has a pretty good selection of colors. I'll have to see if anywhere local has the paint chip card to see what matches up best with my stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully this will come out OK. I'm turning light grey into dark, so hopefully it will come out ok.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

For future references I would like to say that I painted my vinyl horn pad eons ago with Rustoleum Vinyl and Fabric Paint and it still looks like new. Now for you Thain, they don't have nearly the same amount of colors as SEM does but for simple generic colors they have my vote.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yeah its a dark grey that I need. Thats the funny thing with color matching. If its the same color, it matches. If its close, it doesn't match, but if they are far enough apart it looks two-tone and that matches again. I've got like 4 different shades of grey going on, and its definitely not a purposeful setup, it just looks dinked. I'm hoping that if I do all the trim parts in the same grey the dashboard is, the lighter grey headliner will get me back to that two tone thing. Not really interested in replacing that right now.

Comment

I used the SEM products, on my '95 and they worked really nicely. Not sure there are many shades of grey, however, so a compromise is in order. However, if one used the same one to do all of them, problem solved!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

well, the dashboard and door panels are all in excellent condition, and I am not going to re-paint them. Its the lighter grey 1986 stuff that I want to match to the 1983 darker grey parts. Also, some of the light grey parts aren't original, so I've got my faded original faded 86 stuff, some re-dyed close in color light grey stuff, some not so faded original late 80s stuff, plus the really nice dark grey 1983 stuff. Even if I got all the light grey to be close in color to the dashboard, and it was all the same color, I could deal with it. Having 4 different shades of color in there bugs me though, and no, I'm not going to make it 50 shades of color just because of that book.

Comment

Here is some food for thought.

I hope the link works for non-members: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...x-Body-Granada

That guys used this website: http://www.apstowerpaint.com/ to paint armrests of a different color to match his interior.

I was quite impressed.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The Sherwin Williams near me has started carrying SEM stuff supposedly
                    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      Here is some food for thought.

I hope the link works for non-members: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...x-Body-Granada

That guys used this website: http://www.apstowerpaint.com/ to paint armrests of a different color to match his interior.

I was quite impressed.
                      Thats sort of another hitch. I have no idea what the color code for those parts is. That project does look cool though.

I do have a Sherwin-Williams in town though, so maybe they have the SEM paint chips.

Comment

Working...
                      X