What year transmission?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What year transmission?

I need to find another AOD for my car, and I remember reading that the valve body improved one year, '89 I think. I'm wondering what would be the best bet for me, I know I'll need the brass TV grommet and possibly the Silverfox Billet OD Servo and Kevlar Band, since I've had OD go out numerous times.

Also what's necessary to make a Vic/GM AOD work in my Lincoln? Do I just need to use the Lincoln tailshaft? I know the Lincoln is a bit longer.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Not sure how helpful this might be:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...colns-Mercurys

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

89+ AOD casing is stronger... not sure on the VB... but with the cable hooked up, any AOD should work. You either need a Lincoln AOD or an AOD and CV/MGM driveshaft.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

89+ is preferred, 86+ is OK, 85- is scrap if you want any sort of performance build. Something with the earlier cases being weaker and having worse lube properties or somesuch.

With a stock engine, even stock overdrive parts will hold up fine if things are adjusted correctly. Shouldn't need crazy upgrades, though better bits are never a bad thing exactly. The trans in my Mark VII went some 90k with the "C" overdrive servo, the weakest one, and overdrive works fine in it still. It has an A servo now. It should have had a B servo, but whatever. Factory reman, they don't know how that stuff works.

Needs to be a Lincoln AOD. The short Ford one with the short Ford driveshaft ain't gonna get it. The short one with the Lincoln driveshaft will mostly function but you have about an inch and a half less output spline engagement, and thats definitely not ideal. If you get one from something other than a box Towncar, the shift linkage needs to change. 90-92 was cable shift, as was the Mark VII. Minor matter of changing over the shift levers on the side of the trans, but do it on the ground unless you want to cuss at the awkward angle.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Depending on what's available, might have to have mine rebuilt. I don't plan on any performance build, HO upper/shorty headers and lower axle ratio is it, don't have the money for a hot rod. I just need to get this on the road so I can sell my 4Runner and get rid of my monthly payments so I can save some money. Who knows what all needs fixing after sitting for so long...

If I have it rebuilt, I can get a Kevlar OD band and "A" servo for it. Also might have a small trans cooler installed.
          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I have a good 89, 75k TC trans kicking around. Probably too far away for you, I'm just hording it till I end up with a box TC.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Kevlar is not a very good friction material. Its slippery, so you need a hell of a lot more clamping force to keep it from slipping and burning itself up. You'd be better off with a standard material, and make it a 2" wide band if you're really concerned about it though frankly for what you're planning a correctly done stock rebuild will do the trick just fine. Trans cooler is never a bad idea.

the A servo supply is also pretty much gone. It was a Supercoupe part, and production ended on that some time back. There are aftermarket A+ servos tho. I can tell you that even with an A servo and a stock band, it makes an extremely distinct "clunk" on engagement. This is also compared to the C servo I was running previously.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X