No announcement yet.

Aod rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

around here, about 900 for a soft parts rebuild. any hard parts, the price goes up quick.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'm talking complete rebuild and a new TC.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I know mine had a new TC installed when rebuilt, I have the receipt somewhere that my dad gave me for the AOD.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Just out of curiosity I talked to the only two big transmissions shops around here with a decent reputation back when I had my '88. Neither of them would touch an AOD, they said it's all black magic and voodoo and shit, and sacrificing just the right number of chickens at just the right time to get overdrive to work. Strangely enough the AOD and the 700R4 were the only two transmissions that neither shop would work on, must be something about TV pressure that they don't understand.
          2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

All part of the "new mechanics" - if it doesn't have computers/electronics attached to it most are lost! If you need a good laugh, ask one to balance a carb!!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
              All part of the "new mechanics" - if it doesn't have computers/electronics attached to it most are lost! If you need a good laugh, ask one to balance a carb!!!
              Normally I'd agree but these were both older guys who said there was no problem rebuilding older mechanical trasmissions C4's, C6,s, turbo 350's, 400's etc, as well as newer transmissions with 4 or more forward speeds. I think it must have something to do with the whole TV rod/cable deal, but I didn't ask.
              2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                Just 900 to have a shop take the trans out, rebuild and install? That's much cheaper than I thought, I was figuring at least twice that. Might be able to have mine rebuilt sooner if that's all it costs.
                That's also what I paid back in 07 or 08 to have the trans rebuilt on my old 91 GM after a failed TV grommet killed it in 20 miles. I only put about 10k on it before I scrapped that car, now it lives happily in my 92.
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                  I'm talking complete rebuild and a new TC.
                  add part cost. no extra labor. TC comes off for the rebuild anyhow. so that would be about $1200 shop cost I think.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    add part cost. no extra labor. TC comes off for the rebuild anyhow. so that would be about $1200 shop cost I think.
                    That be about right. Customer out of pocket, at least down here, is approximately $1-2K at a well regarded shop with many years GOOD experience and no BS. Chains may be less but expect several returns for "tweaking"!

Comment

Working...
                    X