No announcement yet.

Aod rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pulling it yourself to save some coin is cool, just don't find the cheapest guy who says he can rebuild it, unless he also happens to be good with AOD's.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      pulling it yourself to save some coin is cool, just don't find the cheapest guy who says he can rebuild it, unless he also happens to be good with AOD's.
      I support this message. My dad paid a GM dealer something like $2,200 to have the 4L60-E in his Camaro rebuilt and it's worse than it was before. Dealer said, "Oh, normally when people have their transmissions rebuilt they sell the car afterwords." So your best bet is to find a reputable shop. The one I mentioned has been around for decades and my friend has been taking his stuff there for about just as long, whether it's for the track or not and all have held up so far. Ash is having good luck with her trans too. Warranty is 12k/1yr and of course I hope it wont magically poop just after warranty but her car is shifting better than my dad's Mark VII after he had that rebuilt..
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I would recommend having the shop install the transmission in the car. that way they can set the TV pressure correctly (with a gauge) and they can diagnose and correct any shifting concerns after the rebuild.
        It might cost you more, but it will save you some headache and time.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Extremely valid point. Improper pressure settings will usually void the warranty, and it will bake the trans in short order.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thats a good point i didn't think about. Maybe ill go with the quote i got. just gotta research the shop some more. "Better transmission" San Antonio txs.
            sigpic

Comment

$1000 for a rebuild, with removal/ installation is a good price, in my opinion.

But do plenty of research. There are two main transmission shops around me, and both have their strong points/ specialities.

I just had an AOD done by one of them for 900 (in and out of the car). But... they messed something up because first gear is somewhat problematic. It is going back in to the shop, but it would be much better to avoid this hassle all together.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Plus One!!
                Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                These are not DIY's repairs! Without the proper experience and tools I would have someone else do it.

Comment

Oh man, San Anton is crawling with shops.
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

yeah... and finding a good one in the sea of that spider web that is San Antonio would be rough if you don't know somebody.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That's true there's lots of shops. my friend got his aod in a foxbody rebuilt for 800,but i don't just trust anybody with my car. i really wanna research the shops. anyone ever see "Ferris buellers day off"
                      sigpic

Comment

I agree with doing your research on finding an excellent shop. Being on a budget is hard as it is. If it means saving a bit more, do it. Do it right the first time. Find the best possible shop and warranty with a reasonable cost. Have the shop remove and replace the transmission. The shop will not warranty the transmission if you remove or install it yourself. Adjustments have to be done correctly. If something is wrong. The shop needs to fix it before you get the car back.
                        Make sure you get the converter replaced with a new or reman. Once again, warranty will not be honored if you do not replace it.
                        I remember I needed to replace my Lincoln transmission many years ago. I was going through a divorce and did not have two cents to rub together. I had to sell two cars I had so I could have the cash. I wanted to get the transmission done by the best. 18 years later, it still works like new.

Comment

Another mention, if the existing trans came apart and fouled up the fluid with metal, you either need to flush the hell out of the radiator, replace the radiator, or bypass the internal cooler to use an external. The garbage in the cooler will get back to the trans and that does bad things. An external cooler is a good idea anyway, though normally you'd run one in addition to the internal cooler. This is also typically something that will void the warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                            $1000 for a rebuild, with removal/ installation is a good price, in my opinion.

But do plenty of research. There are two main transmission shops around me, and both have their strong points/ specialities.

I just had an AOD done by one of them for 900 (in and out of the car). But... they messed something up because first gear is somewhat problematic. It is going back in to the shop, but it would be much better to avoid this hassle all together.
                            Just 900 to have a shop take the trans out, rebuild and install? That's much cheaper than I thought, I was figuring at least twice that. Might be able to have mine rebuilt sooner if that's all it costs.
                            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                              Just 900 to have a shop take the trans out, rebuild and install? That's much cheaper than I thought, I was figuring at least twice that. Might be able to have mine rebuilt sooner if that's all it costs.
                              That is pretty cheap, and if that shop does good work and uses good parts that's a steal.
                              The AOD in my 91 MGM my dad had rebuilt, when it was in his 89 MGM, for about $1200. That included removal, rebuild, and re-install. Now that trans has somewhere between 100k and 150k miles (I would have to dig through my documentation to find the actual mileage) and it's still working great in its third car.
                              I also had my 4L60E rebuilt at the same place for about $1400 which also included removal, rebuild, and re-install. I'm having my uncle rebuild the Yukon's engine soon, but the trans worked great during the short time I drove it with the newly rebuilt trans, before the engine started knocking.
                              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Down here it would cost between $1,200 and $2,000.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X