Aod rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aod rebuild

For years my transmission will neutral out shifting into overdrive but the after the transmission is warmed up it slips but then catches overdrive. I have just been looking around pricing different shops and decided to just have the transmission rebuilt. I wanted to buy the rebuild kit myself because i get a big discount at oriellys but there are two different kits an ".061 reverse friction drum" or " .080 reverse friction drum" How would i now which kit to get? its an 84 GM. Anyone know if they were the same that year? or are there numbers on the transmission?
    sigpic

I read on "FTE" forums that aods before 1983 have a .080 friction plates and after 1983 they used .o61. Is that true? Anyone?
    sigpic

Comment

try 88grandmarq. I know he's done a number of AOD rebuilds. He may be able to answer you. Not sure that anyone else here has done any involved trans work.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This the kit you want... but it doesn't include a new OD band or filter.

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-000027002.htm

If you are going to rebuild it yourself, make sure you have a good manual and the specialty tools, like lip seal protectors, clutch spring compressor, snap ring pliers and bar to measure end clearance.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

so that all i would need the band and filter and of course gasket? i wasn't planning on doing it myself (yet anyway) i was trying to price some shops that my dad delivers too. That kit would be perfect is that what you use? how were the results?
          sigpic

Comment

no idea what you need until you get the transmission apart. The kit I listed comes with clutches, steel plates, gaskets, seal and metal seal rings... it does not include the 2 bands, torrington bearings, accumulator pistons or filter. The filter gaskets are included.

again, if you want to do this yourself, you will need some specialty tools to assemble it correctly, with out those tools re-assembly is next to impossible.
            Last edited by 88grandmarq; 07-03-2015, 11:06 PM.
            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

These are not DIY's repairs! Without the proper experience and tools I would have someone else do it.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

i was gonna take everything to a shop. i figured that would come out cheaper then them charging me for there parts. Did yal have any suggestions on a shift kit? i just want a good fast shift with a little feel. nothing crazy.
                sigpic

Comment

If you have a shop that will do the repairs, with your parts, then that is a GREAT solution!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Not sure where you're at but Lou over at Accurate Transmissions in Belleville, Michigan does a great job. Charged Ash just over $1,000 to rebuild her AOD and that was us dropping it off and picking it up later. Been over a year and it shifts great, not to mention the adjusted the TV cable properly.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

the transgo shift kit for MECHANICAL AOD is pretty much the way to go. It works well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

A lot of places won't use customer-supplied parts because they don't know what exactly they are getting. Ask if they'll do that before you buy the kit, otherwise you may be stuck with it.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well i got a quote for 1000 today. That's with the shops parts. The only problem was the owner said to be there at two and of course wasn't there to check out the car, he gave me the quote over the phone. i really wanted to ask about warranty info and etc... I know the price isn't that bad but i am a kid on a budget and trying to save anyway i can. I am even debating pulling The transmission myself and leaving it off with a transmission guy i quoted before. Decisions....
                          sigpic

Comment

See if you can get any feedback from other people who have used the shop. The AOD is sort of bitchy about needing to be rebuilt correctly. its got the most complicated valve body ever put in an automatic transmission and they don't work for shit if its not done right. I know more than a few people who have had fresh rebuilds burn up in short order, or last just barely out of warranty before it quits. The cheapest price is not necessarily your best value here.

Comment

I see what you're saying, but if i can save a couple hundred in labor by pulling the aod in the garage ill try. Ill let yal know what happens If it happens :P its gonna be weird driving the Marqee with a properly shifting trans. I can tell this one is barely hanging on sometimes 1-2 shifts get stuck in between for at least two seconds before finally dropping into second
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X