Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C Compressor Doesn't Always Work

Hi all.

Last week my a/c compressor stopped working while driving. We nabbed a gauge and a can of R134A thinking that it was just low. With him not being familiar with it all that much, he was surprised to see the number in excess of 100psi. He let some pressure out and then put a half a can of that stuff in to get the pressure back to where it was and it still wasn't working, which is what he figured would happen.
    We took it to the shop so they could figure out what was wrong with it but everything was working fine for them. They gave it a recharge and sent it back my way last Friday.

Fast forward to today. On my way to work and most of my way home, the a/c was ice cold. When I get about a couple miles from home, I could feel the temperature inside the car getting warmer. When I got home, I popped the hood to check the compressor. Sure enough, it wasn't working.

Anyone have insight as to what could be causing this? Maybe a relay of some sort?

Thanks,
    Ashley
    1989 Lincoln Town Car

In addition to electrical shorts, you need access to a GOOD set of gauges to check hi and low pressures. That will help put you in the right direction. In the meantime, you can remove and check the connector that goes to the top of the compressor to ensure it is not eroded or just dirty. A bad connection there would certainly do that and at least this is a no cost check! Two primary reasons for higher than normal air conditioner pressures include lack of air flow through the condenser and an overcharge of the system. Lack of air flow can result from a bad condenser-fan-motor. A worn fan-clutch or debris blocking air flow through the condenser will cause the same issue.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Check the connectors at the low pressure switch and the compressor clutch. Could also be a bad low pressure switch. If it doesn't want to go, unplug the switch and jumper it. If it runs, replace the switch. If no go, unplug the compressor (with the engine not running, unless you dislike fingers) and see if you have voltage across the pins. If you do, and it still won't run, CAREFULLY whack the center of the compressor pulley with a screwdriver handle. If it grabs and goes, the clutch needs to be re-shimmed.

Oh, if no voltage, check/replace the Ac WOT relay. Its the black one over behind the windshield washer bottle.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Eh, we've got ten fingers, surely we could spare one or two haha.

Thanks fellas, can always count on you guys for solid advice. Looks like Ash will have something to do while I R&R our air ride systems.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

My 79 Continenals always needed the little tap every few days to get the compressor to engage. I lived with it for well over a year before something caused the freon to leak out.
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

if the low pressure switch is leaking oil, it'll crap up the contacts and it'll do this crap. Had that issue with my 93. Replaced the switch and it works great.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I haven't messed with A/C systems much but say that switch is indeed bad and we go to replace it; will we need to evacuate & recharge the system or can the switch be removed without opening up the system???

Comment

Just remove, replace and go on your way! A little refrigerant will escape but it will ne negligible.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Thanks for all of the help, really appreciate it. Looks like I'll have something to tackle this weekend, along with the chime box from Vic.
                  Will keep you all updated.
                  1989 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

Awesome. Looking forward to the junkyard crawl tomorrow & saturday too haha.

Comment

on my 87 someone butt connected some aftermarket harness on. They must have done a crappy job cause I have to jiggle the harness to make it work. Road imperfections mean it works sometimes and soemtimes not. I need to find an 87 and older model Ford to snip a harness off of to replace the hackers R us approach.
                      -Nick M.
                      Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                      03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Hackers R us...

Comment

If you replace the low pressure switch, make sure the O-ring is up inside the new switch or it'll leak. When the old one comes off, at some point it will start to leak. Spin it the rest of the way off and it will stop leaking. Its got a shrader valve in there to shut the hole when the switch is removed.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

We unplugged the low pressure switch and bypassed it with a wire and boom, compressor kicked on. Sure enough, we plugged the switch back in and it worked. We're still going to nab a replacement part from the junkyard anyway. Simple fixes are the best.
                            Thanks for the help.
                            1989 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

that switch is cheap enough new to make a yard run for one kinda not necessary unless your shops are hopeless and can't get it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X