This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F150 2-row radiator swap into early aero/box

For boxes, it's pretty much the same, but get the radiator for the V8 models instead of the I6. Puts the trans cooler lines on the correct side.

Parts list:
    QTY Desc
    1 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" Reducer http://jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_C...eSplicers.html
    1 70438 Radiator hose (used for splicing the radiator in)
    1 CU1454 2-row Radiator (1990 F150 4.9L I6)
    1 lower radiator hose (choose according to which tank you will use)
    1 F8AB-AA-14370 (L9A5A-05K) fan wiring pigtail (2001-2003 CV/MGM)
    1 Dorman 620-121 Radiator Fan Assembly (2001-2003 CV/MGM fan)
    1 coolant tank if you don't have the one you are planning to use
    6+ 2 inch radiator hose clamps (may need as many as 10 depending on in-line sensors and such)
    1 Additional passenger side radiator bracket (the long one)

Supplies for mounting the fan to the radiator:
    You may have other/better ideas, but what I used was...
    one stick of angle speed steel (the ones with the holes in it) trimmed down to size.
    some fender washers, bolts, nuts, lock washers, maybe some normal washers. Design to taste.

You will need some way to control the fan. I made my own system with some relays and some temp sensors using an in-line radiator hose sensor adapter (38mm).

You need to remove the side tabs from both for them to fit as we don't have the side brackets.
    Mind the radiator drain port. You don't want to cut that.

You will need to trim the top radiator mount to clear the battery.

You need to disassemble the lower hose at least that goes to the radiator. You will replace this section with the 90 degree bend from the random radiator hose in the list above. Trim off about 4-5 inches of a straight section of the random radiator hose and connect to the top port of the radiator and the hose reducer. You'll see the reducer on the top left and the fatter hose elbow in the bottom right of this pic.

Remove the lower radiator mounts (the rubber chocks and their brackets... just pull, they will come free). You need to trim the driver side one to look like the passenger side one.

You'll need to plug the puke port somehow. I had some fuel hose on hand and a bolt and a couple half inch clamps.

You will need to trim the upper rad support cover to clear the radiator top mounts.

Here's some pics of my mounting brackets to mount the fan to the radiator... (all bolts were trimmed to the nuts before install)

I also sourced a NOS pigtail for the fan since I didn't want to be bothered trying to find a yard that still had the pigtail on the fan.

I trimmed the tabs off the fan after the fact during the mounting process and it took longer. Makes it a LOT easier to remove/replace the fan if the tabs are gone. I plan to just replace the fan motor if it should fail at any point.
    Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Some shots of my rats nest of wiring. I can't be bothered to make it neater. It works and that's good enough for me.

fan

temp switch for high fan speed (may drill/tap the other side of that adapter later and add a low speed temp switch as the PCM currently isn't doing jack).

and the rats nest of relays... groupings left to right... high fan relay off AC clutch power, fog lamp relay, Low and High beam headlight relays, and the low/high fan relay box from a whale.
    Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Nice modification. I did something similar on my Aero except it was a 96 f150 radiator. Once you cut the side brackets off, it just drops right in.

Comment

It's the same radiator. 85-97 for F150s.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          It's the same radiator. 85-97 for F150s.
          Ah, OK thanks!
          No wonder it looks the same lol
          Thing I liked most is having an actual radiator cap on the radiator instead of on the reservoir. That and I was able to delete the reservoir altogether.

Although now that I look at the pics a little better, maybe mine is a 98 radiator because the inlet/outlet locations are different
          My inlet is on upper pass side, outlet on lower drivers side. Like the Mustangs.
          Yours appears to use the Panther arrangement of inlet on upper drivers side and outlet on the lower passenger side.
          Last edited by massacre; 05-02-2020, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X