No announcement yet.

Hot idle/Air-Fuel Mix issue??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I've found my vacuum leak! The gasket between the carb and the intake manifold isn't doing it's job. I was running the engine while checking every vacuum hose on the motor and was coming up with no leaks, when I noticed that things were a little damp on the manifold under the front of the carb. Hopefully the carb rebuild will solve both problems! Work on that starts in the next week or two. If that doesn't do it... sledgehammer time!!!!
    ************************************************** ******************************
    1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
    1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
    http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Comment

make sure the base of the carb is flat, along with the mating surface. If someone reefed down on the mounting bolts its entirely possible for the ears to be bent down, which would make it leak in the middle. If it looks right with a straight edge, its likely close enough for the gasket to make up for any imperfections.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        make sure the base of the carb is flat, along with the mating surface. If someone reefed down on the mounting bolts its entirely possible for the ears to be bent down, which would make it leak in the middle. If it looks right with a straight edge, its likely close enough for the gasket to make up for any imperfections.
        You're scaring me! I recently tightened the bolts. However, I wouldn't say I reefed on them... I used a short wrench and applied what I would consider to be minimal force... especially with my dad over top of me yelling "not too tight, not too tight!" the whole time. Keeps you in check, that's for sure.

I will certainly check the base and the mating surface though to ensure that everything is in good shape and as level as possible. Good advice for sure!

Oh, if the mating surface is the issue, would the only cure be a new intake? Also, if it's the ears on the carb, can those be bent back, or is it toast too?
        ************************************************** ******************************
        1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**

Comment

Usually if someone has cranked on them enough to cause bending, you'd know it because there would be deep scars around the bolts. I only mention it as something to watch out for. I knew a guy who had a pickup with a 390 in it. He said it had intake leaks he couldn't fix. He had torqued the intake manifold to 90 foot pounds "because thats the only way they seal". Proper torque was something like 25 ft/lb, and he ended up warping the intake to the point where it would never seal. frankly I don't know how the bolts didn't break, but thats a different matter.

If the mating surface is only a little bit whacked, some careful use of a large flat file will fix it. Just run it across gently, it will take the high spots down for you. DOn't try and bend the carb. The body is usually cast aluminum and they are more likely to break than to bend. Its probably not your issue, its just something to check for just in case. More likely to be a hunk of gasket material that was left stuck in place the last time the carb was off that is creating a seal issue.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by SeanP View Post
            You're scaring me! I recently tightened the bolts. However, I wouldn't say I reefed on them... I used a short wrench and applied what I would consider to be minimal force... especially with my dad over top of me yelling "not too tight, not too tight!" the whole time. Keeps you in check, that's for sure. ...
            Sometimes you can get away without a torque wrench, but for this sort of thing you might as well at least get a cheap one when they're on sale at Princess Auto so you know you're in the approximate range. They currently have a 3/8" drive one on sale now:

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...ampaign=hosted

The one's they normally carry have a blue plastic case, which is handy. When they go on sale, it's usually around $20, so the one currently on sale for $16.99 probably doesn't have the case. If you decide to get one, you might want to call ahead to make sure they still have one in stock at your location.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
              Sometimes you can get away without a torque wrench, but for this sort of thing you might as well at least get a cheap one when they're on sale at Princess Auto so you know you're in the approximate range. They currently have a 3/8" drive one on sale now:

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...ampaign=hosted

The one's they normally carry have a blue plastic case, which is handy. When they go on sale, it's usually around $20, so the one currently on sale for $16.99 probably doesn't have the case. If you decide to get one, you might want to call ahead to make sure they still have one in stock at your location.
              Thanks for the sale tip! I already have 3 torque wrenches, but I may add to my collection...

The only reason I used the small wrench was to check to see if any of the bolts were loose. Two on the passenger side moved clockwise quite easily, which is what I meant when I said I had recently tightened the bolts...

That being said... does anyone know what the actual torque specs for the carb bolts are? I have specs for the intake, but I'm not sure if they'd be the same...

Cheers!

Comment

10-15 ft-lbs according to my books.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

that sounds reasonable. I know its not all that much.

Comment

10-4 on the torque. Thanks! Carb comes out today, hopefully.

Comment

Carb came out and is in disassembled. I'm in the process of cleaning everything right now. I have a rebuild kit and i'll probably put it back together this week. I'm not going to keep the black marshmallows on my mixture screws so I will have access to them so I can adjust them if needed... like a normal person.

Anyone have experience with this "no tamper" mixture screws? will they work the same if I just take the black no tamper casings off? I'm doing everything myself and I'd just like to be able to adjust things when needed without having to take the carb off to do so.

Comment

The anti-tamper things are typically just a plastic thing of some fashion that covers a normal screw.

Comment

The anti-tamper things are typically just a plastic thing of some fashion that covers a normal screw.
                          Actually, once I got them cleaned off I discovered that they were made of metal! They were just so caked with gunk that they had the look and consistency of plastic. I'm figuring out a way to get them out . It seems that the springs sit against the anti-tamper thing... I may have to figure out a way to keep some of it... dunno. I'll figure something out. Might just acquire new screws.

Comment

http://www.autozone.com/repairguides...00c1528006b9e5

has pics of what I believe you have on your car.

"To remove the idle fuel mixture screws and springs, support the area under the limiter plug and using a pointed tool directed at the tang, lightly tap the plug forward."

Comment

http://www.autozone.com/repairguides...00c1528006b9e5

has pics of what I believe you have on your car.

"To remove the idle fuel mixture screws and springs, support the area under the limiter plug and using a pointed tool directed at the tang, lightly tap the plug forward."
                              That's awesome! And so simple. I noticed the tang before but I didn't want to fiddle with things before checking with folks here first. Once more, thank you!

Comment

Well, the carb is back together and back on the car. It runs amazing. I set the choke up all wrong though, so I fixed that today. My curb idle was a little high, so I turned that down today... maybe a little too low, so I'll figure that out in the morning.

All I have to do now is set my high speed idle! This is difficult though because it's pretty impossible to actually see the fast idle cam steps. Any tips? Also, when adjusting the idle speed for the fast idle... what do I adjust exactly? Like physically, what do I turn to adjust it? Would it be the same place that I adjust the hot idle? (screw at the dashpot?)

Comment

Working...
                                X