1992 grand marquis oil burning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1992 grand marquis oil burning question

So i know my 92 burns oil. It is just that it is too much,even for valve seals. I had to disconnect the egr so it wouldn't burn as much. About 3 years ago I cleaned out the egr passages and noticed a puddle of oil in the engine. I replaced the passenger valve cover gasket and it is full of oil, like a coat of oil and it looks wet. In other words it doesn't look baked on. Also I know I installed it correctly. pvc valve was replaced. I just want the engine to last two more years before rebuilding/ replacing it. any suggestions where to look at? Also I would get a nasty misfire with the egr connected, this would be sometimes. For example the car sat for only two days and took it up to 55mph in a trip to the store (highway) and when slowing down it had a nasty misfire that it would jerk. One thing I will do is replace sparkplugs although they only have like 6000 miles on them. The old ones were not foiled by oil.
    1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
    Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
    Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
    sigpic

Also if it makes a difference, it is the original cats and egr.
    1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
    Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
    Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
    sigpic

Comment

What sort of rate are you losing oil at? Its almost always valve seals on the early 4.6, but its possible it may be valve seals plus something else. If its not blowing the dipstick out of the tube, I'm inclined to say its not piston or bottom end related. That pretty much leaves leaks and valve seals.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I burned through 5 quarts in 1000 miles on my 93 MGM. Thinking its probably the rings.

Comment

Yea, that's definitely something besides just valve seals leaking. My '93 was using a quart every 3-400 miles from valve seals. Have you checked to see if your oil filter adapter gasket is leaking? Mine was using quite a bit of oil when that was leaking.
          Matt

Deep Jewel Green/Mocha 1993 Grand Marquis LS

Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Welded mufflers, 17x8 bullits, KYB shocks, Air Lift springs, Draw Tite Class II trailer hitch, and new valve seals @ 116,000 mi.

Comment

5 quarts in 1000 miles? holy shit, that must be a record. if its not leaving lakes on the ground, I'm impressed that it actually managed to run for 1000 miles with oil consumption at those levels and not just foul the plugs beyond the point they would even do anything.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well its not leaving any puddles. Unless its hiding someplace else. It runs rough im sure because of poor compression because of the rings. I have put new plugs and wires in when i got it, still running the same way.

Comment

yeah at that rate I think I'd be replacing the engine. Even if its not rings, there is probably so much garbage built up in that motor that its never going to be happy with itself. At least one person has a confirmed engine no longer rotating from extreme carbon buildup, and I suspect I know of another that actually blew up from the same sort of thing.

Comment

Early 4.6s had high swirl heads so the fuel air mixture would swirl around the cylinder walls (like flushing a toilet) washing away any lubricant from rings and cylinder walls. Chevy made the same mistake with the early Vortec heads. Later designs were changed to be tumble ports. Tumble ports had their issue also leaving basicly a strip of wear on the side of the cylinder opposite the intake valve. 3 valve heads wore down 2 strips opposite the intake valves
                  Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                  X