No announcement yet.

broke down. what to check first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At 10:00 am I paused at run to confirm the fuel pump noise, then started it on the first try. Three subsequent restarts in the last few hours without incident are pointing towards intermittent ignition failure. I did confirm that my firing indicator tool functions properly, so yesterday's start failure seems to be no spark. I inspected the coil output terminal, which seems ok. What are the procedures for troubleshooting the ignition system when it's working? Should I preemptively replace the TFI?
    1987 Grand Marquis LS two door, trying to get to the 60,000 mile mark.

Comment

hot issues are almost always the TFI. Otherwise... coil.

DO NOT FORGET to put the thermal grease (should not be clear) on the module where it mounts to the dizzy. Otherwise it will die in short order.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

THe pickup can also fail like this, but I'd go with TFI first. If it does it again, its probably the pickup in the distributor.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
          Here are some samples of one would look like:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43195[/ATTACH]
          The first photo looks an awful lot like a finger ratchet, which you can get pretty cheap:

for Canadians: http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...ampaign=hosted

for Americans: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece...set-94011.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-pc-1...set-67973.html

If a finger ratchet would work, you could use it for other stuff too instead of having a one-job tool.
          Last edited by IPreferDIY; 07-06-2015, 08:45 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I included the photo of the last tool because sometimes you can get in there without removing the dizzy. The finger ratchet may not enough clearance.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

the TFI tool pictured has the proper size hole in the end of it. Its basically a single-size finger ratchet, minus the ratchet. Most sockets are too fat to get into the TFI module, otherwise a finger ratchet would work. =Most of the time, even that tool is too big to fit without spinning the distributor around.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                I included the photo of the last tool because sometimes you can get in there without removing the dizzy. The finger ratchet may not enough clearance.
                "The finger ratchet may not HAVE enough clearance". Sorry for leaving out "have" originally. Yes, English IS my first language!!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

FYI: the finger "ratchet" doesn't actually ratchet. It's a solid part

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    FYI: the finger "ratchet" doesn't actually ratchet. It's a solid part
                    True 'nuff!!

Comment

They do make them with ratchet mechanisms. Not sure the purpose, but it exists.

Comment

Exactly the same thing happened to me today, while i was driving, the car was coasting down like you turn the ignition off while driving. So i pulled the gear lever into N and rolled out on the driveway side. Called a friend who pulled me to the shop where i can use the equipment, we tested the MSD coil which i built in half a year before… so no spark when we grounded it manually… put a coil from a wreked fox-mustang in, and it fired right up (engine was hot at this moment). Today we had 40°C and the AC was running - first i thought it was the TFI module, but luckily it wash´t.
                        btw: now i got the chance to do a HO conversion
                        Living in a Box

Comment

Originally posted by Chris84 View Post
                          we tested the MSD coil which i built in half a year before… so no spark when we grounded it manually… put a coil from a wreked fox-mustang in, and it fired right up
                          Those newer MSD coils are known for failing, I've heard numerous horror stories about them.
                          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I know some of the Mustang guys say it stands for Might Suddenly Die. I've been running an MSD clone for years. I think it came from Summit or Jegs. Pretty sure its just your standard replacement coil but with red plastic. Looks exactly like any parts store coil other than the color. Its also been on the car probably 8 years now.

Comment

Working...
                            X