Windshield wipers won't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windshield wipers won't work

When there was still ice and snow out, my windshield wipers were frozen and I accidently pressed the washer button where it sprays stuff and wipes three times. Next time I got in my car my wipers wouldn't work. The fuse box makes the "cachink" sound it normally does when the wipers are operating, but the motor does absolutely nothing, so I assumed it was a bad windshield wiper motor.

Since then I have gotten two wiper motors, a new 8.25amp circuit breaker, and cleaned and lubricated inside the wiper switch, but still nothing.

I checked to see if power was getting to the motor by putting my multimeter on DCV and connecting it to connector B (the long black connector) with the key in the on position. I put the black wire to the ground (black wire) and the red to circuit 65 (green wire) and it's getting 12v. I don't even know if I'm doing this right lol

If it was a short circuit, wouldn't it kill my new circuit breaker? How would I know if my new circuit breaker is toast?
    And also, my shop manual says to "jumper motor ground terminal to vehicle body. If motor operates, service ground." how the hell do I do that?

Pull the motor again and see if the linkage is jammed up. You will need to hold the linkage at the motor in position or it'll flop and jam up somewhere. Also look and see if the linkage is still parallel.

Comment

I don't think it's the linkage, even when I plug in the other two motors, they don't move at all.
      It's definitely something electrical, I just don't know how to check it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-02-11_222657_wiper_motor2.gif
Views:	1
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	1277986

I'm getting 12v at circuit 65, but I can't seem to get any other readings from any of the wires on either of the two plugs when the wipers are turned on at different settings. I still hear sounds coming from the circuit breaker when the switch is being adjusted.

Don't really know what to do from here so I'm taking the dash apart to get to the Turn Signal Wiper Switch and check the connections on it.

Comment

If you put the wiper control to low or high to you get any voltage on the low or high pins? If not, either the control stalk is disconnected/bad, the wiper module is disconnected/bad, or the circuit breaker (slot 2 - 8.25 Amp) for the wipers (in the fuse box under the dash) is shot and needs to be replaced. I'm attaching the wiring diagram for ya here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiper_diagram.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1277987

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

THANK YOU thank you! I'll check it all as soon as I get home.

Comment

Hmmm, I'm getting nothing from the high and low pins, but it appears that I'm getting voltage from the ground (circuit 61) on connector A when operating the wiper switch. And when I press the washer button, circuit 61 shows 12 volts and never goes back to zero until the key is switched off. There is also no continuity between circuit 61(ground) and the vehicle body... shouldn't there be?

And for what it's worth, the washer pump still works when I press the washer button. If that goes through the circuit breaker (which I recently replaced with new) then that should still be good, right?

I've ordered an electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual too. Something I should've done long ago.

Comment

sounds like the ground is broken somewhere then. Probing the GND wire should give a short to a known good ground point (like the negative battery terminal).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

On circuit 65 you measured 12V, so your 8.25A circuit breaker must be good.
                61 is the wiper motor control, not ground. It runs from the interval governor to the wiper motor.
                It is possible that the interval governor could be bad, but don't think we have enough evidence to definitively say that it is the problem.
                If you're a gambling man you could check your local JY for 90+ interval governor, I can't imagine it would cost that much (but I could be wrong).

I'll get a few pictures from my EVTM up soon.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

These should help:

Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

The first picture doesn't look good when I look at, so I split it in to two:

Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Awesome! Thanks Vic! Unfortunately I'll be leaving for a big trip after work tonight and it looks like this won't get fixed before we leave, so we'll be taking the explorer. But now I have a much greater idea of what I'm doing. When I get back from the trip I'll get to the bottom of this.

A circuit breaker or new wiper motor would've been too easy, but nothing is ever simple

Comment

I am wrong, I guess I didn't look too carefully at all of those diagrams.
                        On the Interval Governor connector end view circuit 61 is clearly stated as being wiper motor ground. The diagram that is the same thing Sly posted is where I drew my incorrect conclusion from. So the motor must be ground controlled by the Interval Governor.
                        If you're getting 12V on 61, I'm leaning toward Interval Governor failure but you will still want to check the connectors and wires just to be sure it's not chafed wires (61 making contact with some 12V source) in the harness or something along those lines.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                        X