Timing chain cover leaking in 91 MGM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing chain cover leaking in 91 MGM

I recently had to change the water pump and timing chain and cover because a water jacket in the timing chain cover was cracked and leaking coolant. I figured I might as well change the timing chain while I was in there as the original had a significant amount of slack. The car has always had a minor oil leak, maybe about a half quart every month. Ever since I put everything back together I started seeing the oil leak getting much worse. I couldn't find out where it was coming from until today. There is a hole on the side of the timing chain cover that pours oil out when the ac is on, it does not come out nearly as much if at all with the ac off. I was wondering if anyone knew what this hole is for. I took a picture from where it's leaking on the car (sorry for the crappy angle) and also downloaded a picture of the timing chain cover to pinpoint exactly where I'm looking.

There are 3 holes in question that currently have nothing attached or bolted to and I was wondering if anyone knew if there should be a bolt or something else in there. The red arrow in the picture points to the hole that is leaking, but unfortunately cannot be seen in that photo of the timing chain cover. In the other picture from my engine bay, the red highlighted hole is the one that is leaking or more like hemorrhaging oil. The other 2 yellow highlighted holes also have nothing in them but it looks like something is definitely missing there as the smaller of the 2 yellow holes is threaded. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If there's anything that I left out please feel free to ask me any questions and I will answer to the best of my abilities. Thanks again.

Ok so I found out that these holes are for a front mounted oil dipstick. Doh!!! Now that I feel like a moron and the parts are all installed on the car, how can I plug this damn hole up and not leave a trail of oil everywhere I go? I really hope this is am easy fix

Comment

if it wasn't already on the car, I would suggest tapping the hole and putting a bolt in it with some sealer/locktite on it. I have no clue what size that hole is... though a freeze plug (if they make them that small) if it's a smooth bore would work great. If it's already threaded, just need to find out the thread and stick a short bolt in there.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Just stick the right size wooden dowel in it and pound it down as tight as you can. I've seen a lot of dipstick holes plugged this way, works great!

Comment

Wooden dowel works, just shave it down a bit at one end if needed and tap it in there. Put some sealer goo around it first if you want a little extra insurance.

That particular cover looks like an EEC-III cover that would have had a crank position sensor. If its a threaded hole, screw a bolt into it. If its a large smooth hole, then its a dipstick rig. The crank sensor would not have a hole into the block though, it would line up on the back side of the balancer.
          Last edited by gadget73; 07-06-2015, 11:08 PM.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Cool thanks for the tip. I actually just ordered a few 3/8" freeze out plugs. If I don't have any luck with those I'll break out the dowels

Comment

....And yes I measured the hole that is not threaded

Comment

One has to wonder how a '91 car ended up with a part for something right around 10 years older... End of the 5.0 production run in cars, must have been a bitch getting all the right parts so they used up whatever they could scrape up. About as bad as a '97 F250HDs and F350s, some of those were complete basket cases right from the factory!
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by beastiezzz View Post
                  ....And yes I measured the hole that is not threaded
                  Wood may be easier to get but I would prefer a piece of cut off metal (like rebar but without ridges or something) with some heat/oil resistant sealant. Not sure how wood would hold up....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Wood is way more user-friendly tho. If the metal plug isn't just the right size, it will either fall in or crack the housing. Not sure which would be worse at that point.
                    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

This is what I ordered on amazon....

Comment

Working...
                      X