No announcement yet.

Cheap 4.6L Upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, so a top-end PI swap would take care of most of the NPI problems, giving me COP, better intake [albeit plastic, yuk] better heads, and needing better TB and probably EEC upgrade. What else is bad about the 91-95 block, besides the rear mains not being cross-bolted?

Comment

I start looking at swapping out engines, then why stick with a 4.6 2v? Then I start looking at the money and time invested, and there are some nice cars to be had with less trouble.

Comment

You can still use your wires and plugs with the 94. You would have to modify it to make it accept the COPs.

-ryan s.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

5.4 and a supercharger? Will the superchargers the Mustang guys use play nice on the 5.4? If they do there's a cheap upgrade right there, get a sub-$2500 used one off CL, $500 for the motor/computer or whatever, and J-mod the tranny.
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Nope.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

"cheap 4.6L upgrades"

None.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Remove modular, install LS.
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                  Remove modular, install LS.
                  OR remove Modular, install Windsor

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
                  1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

Comment

I've read some good things about using 5.4 4V intake plenums. No, not the kind from the SVT Cobra Rs. I mean the kind you can grab off '99 and up Navigators. Super duper long intake runners + lightweight composite construction (lighter than even aluminum!) + available for chump change at a wrecking yard = win.

More information here! http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...manifold-test/
                    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

A 5.4 4V intake will only fit on a 5.4 4v. It's also a truck intake that will fall flat on it's face in mid to high rpm range. Good for low end but that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                        A 5.4 4V intake will only fit on a 5.4 4v. It's also a truck intake that will fall flat on it's face in mid to high rpm range. Good for low end but that's about it.
                        So sad. Wish there was interchangability with the mod motors like there is with the 302s and 351s. Forget what I said then, OP.
                        '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                        '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                        '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
                          So sad. Wish there was interchangability with the mod motors like there is with the 302s and 351s. Forget what I said then, OP.
                          There is...sort of. I mean you can slap 4v heads and intake on a 2v. You can also slap 4.6 4v heads on a 5.4 4v.

Comment

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
                            Even then you couldn't swap intakes...

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                            The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                            It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

You need the intake spacers to make it work.
                              If you wanted to.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
                              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Yeah boost is really the only thing that makes a difference on mod motors, but then you scatter the shitty stock rods, so basically you have to build a forged motor, then boost the piss out of it. If you're gonna LS swap something, do it with some ugly GM car and leave the panthers out of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X