Cheap 4.6L Upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
    Yeah boost is really the only thing that makes a difference on mod motors, but then you scatter the shitty stock rods, so basically you have to build a forged motor, then boost the piss out of it. If you're gonna LS swap something, do it with some ugly GM car and leave the panthers out of it.
    I've been running 12 lbs on stock internals for a while now. So far no issues but I don't really beat on it all day every day. It's all about the tune. As long as you don't go full retard and lean it out you should be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
      I've been running 12 lbs on stock internals for a while now. So far no issues but I don't really beat on it all day every day. It's all about the tune. As long as you don't go full retard and lean it out you should be ok.
      "Never go full retard." -- Sgt. Lincoln Osiris, Tropic Thunder

Comment

Wait. You are running 12 lbs? Is this on a Mod motor or a Windsor?

Comment

Originally posted by C-Dave View Post
          Wait. You are running 12 lbs? Is this on a Mod motor or a Windsor?
          2 valve 4.6.

Comment

Yeah 12lbs, intercooled presumably, and with a proper tune is no biggie. Any more than that you're playing with proverbial fire, unless you have a really safe tune. My brother's truck is running 16-17psi through a 2.3 Kenne Bell on the stock bottom end. He is mostly very gentle with it because it's kinda like a barrel of nitroglycerine. Wrong move and BOOM!!!!

Comment

Yeah anything that would be done would definitely be sitting waiting for forced induction. I was thinking a remote turbo setup. I have to work till about November unti; I can afford another Panther because of school.

I may just swap in a PI or 4v instead of playing with the NPI on it. But this is all just talk until I get a car and a turbo huh?

Comment

One can dream.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

What can be done with a 96 4.6L for some minor upgrades?

Comment

Minor stuff:

PI intake swap: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Manifold-Swap

dual exhaust

underdrive pulleys

Shouldn't need a tune for any of this, though it may help a little with the intake swap as the PI intake flows much better. If you do get it tuned and you are able to rev higher than stock at that point, consider replacing the mechanical fan and e-fan combo with a pure e-fan.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

The car has the factory dual exhaust, guess I could upgrade the mufflers and go with a 2.5" setup. With the underdrive pulleys just look for a Mustang kit?

Comment

Steeda makes a kit for the vics I think.

Comment

Working...
                        X