PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: bye bye Blazer bye bye

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Default bye bye Blazer bye bye

Finally got pics of this mess. Check your parking brakes kiddies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150705_201017.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	43199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150705_201025.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	43200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150705_201606.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	43201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150705_202230.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	43202

The boat is hooked to the trailer, which is somewhere under the boat in these pics. The back end of the truck was floating because the boat was holding it up. It actually jackknifed and smashed up the bumper on the Blazer during the process. trailer is fine.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

un bueno.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Non amphibious blazer.

Scary how you could have lost the boat too.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Break Out Another Thousand

Since that's all a Blazer will cost.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Quote Originally Posted by SVT98t View Post
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

She already replaced it. There is a 2010 quad cab Silverado in the garage now. Also, apparently there was full coverage on the Blazer. They'll be cutting a check for book value less the $500 deductible. Won't be much, but it'll be better than scrap value. I think the tires are sold too, so thats a couple bucks. Basically it makes the down payment on the replacement truck.

Losing the boat really would have pissed me off. Tide was on its way out, so I wasn't overly concerned. I was thinking I could un-winch it once the truck got pulled out enough for the crank to not hit the back, but the strap broke on it's own. A knife would have done it too. Oh well, strap is new now and I've got 17 feet of seat belt material to use for a tow strap for the lawn tractor if I need it.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I post a lot...

Wow, lucked out on the full coverage. So, are you in the dog house for this?
    2017 Buick Enclave 3.6 (Burgundy/Beige)
    2017 Hyundai Elantra SE w/tech (Silver/Grey)
    2019 Volvo S60 Inscription (Crystal White / Blond)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Not really. Sort of a no fault thing. Not a damn thing I could have done about it, other than not get out of the way and have the stupid thing run me over and probably drown me in the process.

Proud Owner Of A 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis! miamibob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Not really. Sort of a no fault thing. Not a damn thing I could have done about it, other than not get out of the way and have the stupid thing run me over and probably drown me in the process.
    That's the best news - that you were not behind it!! The other shit is replaceable.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

drink a beer, grow a beard, cut it, grind it, weld it back His Royal Ghostliness's Avatar

Impressive!!! Well it sucks for the Blazer after all the work that got done on it, but whatever, you're still around to tell the story, that's what matters.

So parking brake didn't hold, what about the one built into the trans?

One tire slips and the other rolls with an open diff.

Ya, that's dead alright.

drink a beer, grow a beard, cut it, grind it, weld it back His Royal Ghostliness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    One tire slips and the other rolls with an open diff.
    True, forgot about that effect. LSDs front and rear, I'm spoiled alright!

I'm thinking it may not have been fully into park. I reached in through the window to yank on the shifter and it started ratcheting louder, but it did not stop. That was about all I had a chance to do, if I'd have tried to jump in to hit the foot brake it would have gone under anyway with me in it. That ramp is fairly slick at near low tide. I nearly went on my ass several times climbing out of the water.

It was likely to be traded for something newer within the next 6 months anyway. This sort of bumped the timetable up a bit. Honestly with the insurance, it'll probably end up about as good as the trade-in would have been anyway so all in all, its probably a wash, puns intended.
    Last edited by gadget73; 07-08-2015 at 01:25 AM.

That's one of the reasons why I tolerate my 4.25-ton boat anchor - if THAT starts moving with the wheels locked up there is little chance of ANYTHING keeping that load in check!

So how did they pull it out? Tow truck at the very top of the ramp, with a diver on the other end of the rope?

Wow, that looked like it was in good shape. Glad you didn't lose the boat but whoa lol. At least it wasn't the Town Car and it was going to go away soon anyhow. Glad you're alright.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I once owned a box panther... BuffaloRider's Avatar

Really putting it's off-road capabilities to the test I see.
    Good to hear you weren't injured.

No mean-spiritedness here. IPreferDIY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    ... It was likely to be traded for something newer within the next 6 months anyway. This sort of bumped the timetable up a bit. Honestly with the insurance, it'll probably end up about as good as the trade-in would have been anyway so all in all, its probably a wash, puns intended.
    I'm glad there was a proverbial silver lining in the cloud. Could there have been an issue with the parking brakes getting wet or something?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box "tuba" (in place of the "trumpet"), headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, NKL4 PCM (from a 2000 CVPI, nothing great there apart from highway cruising), KYB Gas-A-Just shocks (after >202,000 km on originals)

That sucks. I liked my friend's 04 Blazer, we put an ebay cold air intake and a Thrush Turbo muffler on it, gave it a bit of growl. The Vortec 4.3 has plenty of power for those little trucks, I know a guy with an S10 Regular Cab 2WD 5spd 4.3, that little truck hauls ass. I can only imagine how fun the old GMC Syclone/Typhoon was to drive, even though they were auto.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Quote Originally Posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
    That's one of the reasons why I tolerate my 4.25-ton boat anchor - if THAT starts moving with the wheels locked up there is little chance of ANYTHING keeping that load in check!

So how did they pull it out? Tow truck at the very top of the ramp, with a diver on the other end of the rope?
    I think we used 5/8" 3 strand, nothing all that special or heavy tied to the hitch on the neighbor's F250 (or F350, can't recall, 4x4 gasser, single rear axle). I walked across the roof and down the hood, got in the water in front of the front bumper and hooked it. I was standing on the paved ramp at that point, the top of the hood was about waist deep. The front wheels didn't go off the edge. The back end was basically held up by the boat and the trailer being jackknifed behind the rig. If it had not done that, it probably would have just shot straight out and it would have really been a mess.

THe 2010 Silverado she replaced it with manages to do better on fuel and it's got a 5.3 V8. Its a fairly nice truck. Bit over-complicated for my liking but it drives good. We were doing mid-18's on the trip to WV, the Blazer seldom hit 18 at all, 17.5ish was about typical for it.

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

My '92 S-10 did that in the parking lot of work soon after I got it. The one day I parked on the inclined portion and it rolled down to the other side of the parking lot. After that incidence, I replaced the parking brake cable on all of the vehicles. LOL

Packman