Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Explorer heads, cam and intake on lopo shortblock - PTV clearance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Explorer heads, cam and intake on lopo shortblock - PTV clearance?

Ok,

after driving my 90 Town Car for a few more months and taking it on a 2k mile trip I think I'm going to keep it simple. The lady who owned this car for 25 years maintained it very well - overkill on fluids and new parts etc. I'm going to leave in the stock short block and trans and just do a top end swap to explorer stuff.

My questions:

1. will I have to worry about Piston to Valve clearance with the Explorer heads and cam on the lopo pistons?
    2. any idea of compression ratio with this setup?
    3. is it worth it to buy 1.7 rockers with the explorer cam? Obviously this means new valve springs and more possible PTV issues...for how much HP - 5 or so?

Thanks for the help! I will also be using the stock Lincoln logs and converting over to factory duals.
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Originally posted by drhill View Post
    Ok,

after driving my 90 Town Car for a few more months and taking it on a 2k mile trip I think I'm going to keep it simple. The lady who owned this car for 25 years maintained it very well - overkill on fluids and new parts etc. I'm going to leave in the stock short block and trans and just do a top end swap to explorer stuff.

My questions:

1. will I have to worry about Piston to Valve clearance with the Explorer heads and cam on the lopo pistons?
    2. any idea of compression ratio with this setup?
    3. is it worth it to buy 1.7 rockers with the explorer cam? Obviously this means new valve springs and more possible PTV issues...for how much HP - 5 or so?

Thanks for the help! I will also be using the stock Lincoln logs and converting over to factory duals.
    I just did the same swap you are wanting to do, left the stock LOPO bottom end in the car and installed GT40 Heads, Explorer Intake. I used a Mustang GT cam for the higher RPM range and have been very happy with it. No issues with PTV clearance. I used stock rockers because I couldn't justify spending the money for the low HP gain. Compression ratio isnt going to change much at all honestly. I have 3.55 gears. Once the car gets going its a screamer. But out of the whole its still a turd.

Comment

Originally posted by fivelstang4 View Post
      I just did the same swap you are wanting to do, left the stock LOPO bottom end in the car and installed GT40 Heads, Explorer Intake. I used a Mustang GT cam for the higher RPM range and have been very happy with it. No issues with PTV clearance. I used stock rockers because I couldn't justify spending the money for the low HP gain. Compression ratio isnt going to change much at all honestly. I have 3.55 gears. Once the car gets going its a screamer. But out of the whole its still a turd.

Any more info on your setup? Readers ride page with a breakdown? Curious about all of it.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Either way I'd be swapping valve springs, 1.7's or not.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

that's great news! That's what I will do then. I will stick with the explorer cam - I have the mustang cam with 1.7's in my wagon and without a small stall converter it was not great out of the hole...screams up top for sure. I don't care about top end in my Lincoln, just strong bottom and midrange.
          1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
            Either way I'd be swapping valve springs, 1.7's or not.
            I read alot about valve springs before I swapped the heads. Nothing that said hey, you gotta change springs. Ive bounced the engine over rev limiter a time or two. No issues. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              Any more info on your setup? Readers ride page with a breakdown? Curious about all of it.
              Email me at fivelstang4@gmail.com with your phone number and I would be glad to talk to you over the phone about it.

Comment

I read alot about valve springs before I swapped the heads. Nothing that said hey, you gotta change springs. Ive bounced the engine over rev limiter a time or two. No issues. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
                Stock explorer springs are known to be garbage though. Even with a stock cam I'd replace them, and certainly with anything above that. The cheapy ones are $100, no reason not to do them in my mind. Plus while everything's apart you can clean all the carbon out of the heads and lap the valves. Again though, that's just my opinion.
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I've driven cars with Explorer heads and floated the BS out of those springs at around 5000 rpm. The Explorer cam is done at that point anyway but they don't really do anything beyond it. If you retain the stock shift governor in the Lincoln, you might get by with it but honestly for the small change that they cost, I'd probably swap them just so you never have to think about why the engine might be missing and breaking up just before it shifts.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No issues at all. I did the explorer/ explorer and 1.7's/ mustang/ mustang and 1.7's before finally thinking why the hell haven't I just bought a performance cam as cheep as they are... I got a comp xe258 and it put out over 300ft/lbs between 2800rpm and my 6000rpm limit on a bone stock explorer setup. Those numbers haves since been bumped up by 50 after I ported everything extensively to the limits. 350hp and 400ft/lbs from an all ford parts 302 and comp cam that drives like stock with passing e-tests is pretty cool.

****This comp xe258 cam is exactly the edge of limits on PTV clearance with stock no-releif pistons. There were actually little tap marks in the carbon thin layer in all my pistons on I think it was the intake valves when I went to put the forged pistons in. As you likely know, max lift has nothing to do with ptv clearance as this occurs when the piston is at the bottom of it's stroke, but the duration and .050 open #'s are what dictate ptv clearance when the valve is just beginning to open or just finishing closing when the piston is at the top of it's stroke. The higher the lift the better, no matter what for power (tq). Duration is where you can keep efficiency/full vac/silky smooth idle if you keep it short like stock, and longer total duration and overlap gets into the righ revving power/shitty idle/crappy low end tq/vac issues... But they do sound cool and haul ass of 5000rpm converter cars lol.
                    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Working...
                    X