Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

{HO CONVERSION}Mark VII computer (is it direct bolt in?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{HO CONVERSION}Mark VII computer (is it direct bolt in?)

Or will I have to do a little rewiring? Lincolns Online Tech Tips says all you have to do is switch 'em out. Seems a little too easy.
    Project \"Fire and Ice\":

1989 LTC

My worst enemies are those who presume me to be harmless. They cannot imagine how much I resent and disdain them, or just how great a threat they would face if I could get at them. Everything in their behavior speaks of insult and presumptuousness, and for now it is all I can do to make constructive use of my anger toward them. At this time, I just make a list of them and keep a watch on. Some day, with the help of time, space, and circumstance, I will be able to humiliate them properly - not in a manner they would enjoy, but in a style calculated to make them wish that they had never been born.

Anton Szandor LaVey

Should bolt right in...

All I know is that you have to switch the firing order, and I am sure someone will chime in...

-GMGT

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
    '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
    '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Re: Mark VII computer (is it direct bolt in?)

Originally posted by Roach III
      Or will I have to do a little rewiring? Lincolns Online Tech Tips says all you have to do is switch 'em out. Seems a little too easy.
      Change computers, use 19lb injectors and set your plug wires to the HO firing order. That is it. You can check the pins in wiring diagrams for yourself, but it is indeed plug and play.

Comment

Thanks guys. I ordered a D9S Mark VII computer on ebay for $24. Should be here in a week or two. All I need now is some valve springs for the E7TE-PA heads and a camshaft. I've got a lead on a set of 19lb injectors dirt cheap.

Looking at the Tweecer RT for around $550. Looks to be an interesting combo.

Anybody know what the deal is with the MAP sensor? I've read articles where it says it needs to be swapped out and some that said the old one was fine.

1989 LTC

My worst enemies are those who presume me to be harmless. They cannot imagine how much I resent and disdain them, or just how great a threat they would face if I could get at them. Everything in their behavior speaks of insult and presumptuousness, and for now it is all I can do to make constructive use of my anger toward them. At this time, I just make a list of them and keep a watch on. Some day, with the help of time, space, and circumstance, I will be able to humiliate them properly - not in a manner they would enjoy, but in a style calculated to make them wish that they had never been born.

Anton Szandor LaVey

Comment

I think u need an HO cam toob/c of the firing order.
          Nick
          88 Colony Park LS
          G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
          Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Yeah, the guy I bought the D9S from just sent me an email. He says he has a HO cam if I want it. What's a fair price to pay for a used one?

1989 LTC

Anton Szandor LaVey

Comment

If you run a HO ECM, you MUST use an HO cam and 19lb injectors for the engine to run properly.

The HO ECM will install in place of the stock ECM, you do not have to change any wires. there is no injector firing order, only ignition firing order, which is different between HO and non-HO.

87 and newer MAP sensors should be the same. I did not have to change mine when I did my conversion, but had a spare off an HO car just in case. after closer inspection, they had the same part #
              86 cars (HO and non-HO) seem to use a different MAP sensor.
              2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
              89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
              88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Thanx. That answers my question regarding the MAP sensor.

What's the best way to remove head bolts without breaking them off? I seem to have a problem breaking engine bolts :drug: .

1989 LTC

Anton Szandor LaVey

Comment

IR impact gun is your friend... 600ft lbs in reverse will remove almost anything.
                  2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                  89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                  88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

just take it slow if your using an old fashioned socket and wrench like I did. I broke off a bolt in one of the lower rows and it was a bitch to get out. Try some WD-40 on them 15 mins before you go at them
                    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

I used my big 1/2" ratchet and a socket and they came right out without issue. They're only run down to like 75 ft/lb or something so tightness really shouldn't be an issue. Its the bolts that run through the water jacket that have a chance of breaking or being seized but from my exprience that doesn't happen as often as you might think. I've torn down several marine engines that are raw water cooled and never had a head bolt snap. The ends would be rotted right off the bolt, but they never seized or were unable to be removed with a good ratchet. Exhaust manifold bolts were a totally different story.

And yeah, what everyone else said about the ECM. Direct swap. I also ran my 86's lopo MAP sensor with the HO stuff and it was fine. Swapped the 88 Mark VII MAP I had laying around and it made zero difference. Part numbers were different but I don't really think its substantially a different part, least I couldn't tell any difference.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys. You've been a huge help. I will start this conversion when it warms up a little (or I find someone with a warm garage).

Gadget73:
                        Since you brought it up, what's the best stuff/technique to use on exaust manifold bolts? This engine has 214,xxx miles on it and I'm thinking that they are one with the heads now.

1989 LTC

Anton Szandor LaVey

Comment

on my exhaust bolts I just WD-40'd em and used a regular socket wrench. They came out no prob.
                          1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Yeah, I've actually not had much issue with Ford exhaust bolts. I pulled the ones on Mr Dawg's car, which has some unknown, but very high, amount of miles and they came out no problem at all with a standard 3/8" ratchet.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Anyone know the computer to use if cruise control is not an issue? My Vic don't have cruise and I'm starting to price out HO stuff for next year.
                              Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Working...
                              X