Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something rattling around in my timing chain cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Type F is indeed what Ford says to use.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

yes... type F is listed in the manual for all 5.0L panthers for power steering fluid.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yessir. I know some people swear it doesn't really matter, but I find that it makes a little less noise using the proper juice vs Dexron III.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I use Type F in my PS ('87 GM) - still original pump and as quiet as a "rat pissing on cotton"!!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Alright, I had my buddy use a timing light and got it on, which I feel like was part of the problem, possibly coupled with the distributor. Anyways, I've taken it for a few long drives and it doesn't sound like a diesel anymore, and is not making any grinding from the distributor.

I have a quick question related to the problem, what does it sound like when a power steering unit is going bad? I have always had that normal power steering 'whine', but there is something still going on, and I think its related to the power steering pump, its still that grinding on acceleration, but not coming from the drivetrain itself. I can only replicate it when actually driving, which is why I'm having a hard time narrowing down the problem. On idle and rev its fine...
            1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

If you don't have one... get a mechanic's stethoscope. Works wonders with narrowing down location of noises. (or use some vacuum line in your ear and poke the other end on various non-moving bits)

probe the alternator body (bearings will resonate through the body). The dizzy body (the metal part if you can) and the PS pump body between the bracket and the reservoir. The loudest one making that noise is most likely it. If it's the PS pump, check the fluid level and top up if needed. If that doesn't sort it, it may need replacing. If it's the alternator... it may need rebuilt. If it's the dizzy... there's probably crap down between the shaft and case and may be worn out. Might also try poking the water pump if possible (mind the fan). If it's none of that... it might be the PCV valve clattering. If it's been replaced with a metal one that the parts stores typically have, those can tend to rattle in certain conditions.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

They typically make a louder, more annoying version of the typical whine sound.

Pull the belt off the AC and see if the noise goes away. The smog pumps tend to sound fairly horrible when they begin to die, but its a range of horrible. The Towncar's sounded like 1950s space ship effects, the Mark VII sounded like a drunk monkey with a maraca.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Its not the dizzy - I replaced it with a brand new one, and the clicking/grinding that was coming from it no longer persists. I think I was dealing with two problems, one of which was solved once I switched octane. I am very sure its not the water pump - It was replaced a few years ago, shows no signs of wear, leaking, and I pulled the belts to see if the pulley had any play, and its fine. Same with the alternator - its a 3g that was replaced around the same time as the water. pump. I also pulled the belt off the A/C - not the ac, and my smog pump has long since been pulled out.

The stethoscope is a great idea if it would make this noise while idle/rev but it doesn't. Its something happening whilst driving, and it really sounds like its coming from the lower driver side area around the PS pump/ steering gear. Now, the steering gear was replaced just last year. And yes I've checked all fluid levels, checked for leakage, etc. Like I said, its only doing this while driving, the next thing I'm going to check is the driver side braking/bearing etc. to see if I have a bad wheel bearing. They were switched over to the steel ones a while ago though.
                  1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

check your wheel bearings then. If it's while moving only, it's probably transmission back or front wheels.

Comment

Working...
                    X