AOD Kickdown Rod Bushing Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD Kickdown Rod Bushing Installation

Ok, all this info is probably already somewhere in the forum... in fact, I knew I had to do this from info I found in the forum... so well documented. But I thought I would do a little write up for the noobs like myself who may not have the best knowledge (though we're learning more and more every day thanks to all the great folks on here!) and also may need a visual.

Also, I found a lot of the material out there on this covered the bushing for the kickdown cable on the later AODs, so this one is for those of us who have older cars. The principle is the same as the cables, but here's everything from the rod's POV.

In my case I had issues with shifting. As in my tranny would not shift out of first. Nothing like driving 40 km/hour at 4000 rpm. Anywho, some research indicated that this bushing may be my problem. I ordered one from the local Ford store (they come in two's from there and all in cost my about $20 for both of them... rockauto has these for $1.98/each).

I inspected the kickdown rod to carb linkage to see what kind of shape my old bushing was in and here's what I saw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150613-00587.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1303060

Yes, you're eyes are not fooling you... there is no bushing.

Here's a closer look.

Name:	IMG-20150613-00588.jpg
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1303061

Yep, it's gone.

This certainly explains why I was having shifting issues. As you can see from all the crap on my intake manifold, perhaps a woodland critter made off with it and used it for its own Panther project? At least s/he had the wherewithal to put my kickdown rod back on the pin.

Based on the exploded diagram I saw at the Ford store, the busing goes in narrow end towards the carb. Install it onto the rod fist, the pop it onto the pin.

Installing on the rod takes some oomph. I bent my thumbs backwards trying to get it on before thinking of a better way. My better way was using a c-clamp and a socket.

Name:	IMG-20150613-00590.jpg
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1303063

The socket sat between the solid end of the c-clamp and the rod and the busing sat on the moveable part of the c-clamp, positioned just over the hole in the rod. I wound the clamp until it pushed the bushing through the hole, with the narrow end of the bushing fitting inside the socket so it wouldn't get crushed in the clamp.

Once it was nicely seated in the rod, I popped it onto the pin and that was that.

Name:	IMG-20150613-00589.jpg
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1303062

A quick, easy shifting test drive confirmed that all my AOD woes stemmed from this little detail. Which proves the adage true, it's the small things in life that have the biggest impact.

Hope this helps someone!

Cheers,

Sean
    ************************************************** ******************************
    1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
    1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
    http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

I'm not so sure this info is posted actually, so thanks for the post. Too bad the EFI setup didn't use something similar for the TV cable (orientation) so that when the plastic abomination gave up, the cable would tend to stay hooked anyhow.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      I'm not so sure this info is posted actually, so thanks for the post. Too bad the EFI setup didn't use something similar for the TV cable (orientation) so that when the plastic abomination gave up, the cable would tend to stay hooked anyhow.
      +1 On that one - would have saved mucho grief!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Very cool. Yeah we don't have quite so much for carb or CFI models on here. Carbs went away stateside in 1983, and a lot of the CFI cars just didn't survive their own incompetence. The EFI cars ran better for longer, so they seem to be what you find mostly.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Very cool. Yeah we don't have quite so much for carb or CFI models on here. Carbs went away stateside in 1983, and a lot of the CFI cars just didn't survive their own incompetence. The EFI cars ran better for longer, so they seem to be what you find mostly.
          With the grief the carb is causing me these days, it's easy to see why the EFI option is more popular. The carbs are cool when they run right though!
          ************************************************** ******************************
          1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**

Comment

I just had this happen last week. Driving along and it shifts out of OD, I guessed that it was going into second, and then it would stay there. For me it worked fine in Drive though.

Comment

It didn't matter what I had it in... just wouldn't shift. It was also terrifying to see how loose it was sitting on the pin! I don't know what happened, but my gut says some mechanic was hoping for a tranny repair job down the road. It's just so weird to have no trace of the bushing but for the rod to still be where it's supposed to be.

Comment

Is this the same bushing used on the 7200VV? E0AZ-7F330-A for the TV rod to throttle connection? If so, what's the RockAuto part number as it's probably a Dorman or Motormite. Thanks!

Comment

Actually working on an 82 F100 with a Motorcraft 2150 and your application looks like what I need. So interested in an inexpensive solution for this "bushing" or "insulator". Please add the part numbers. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by P72Crazy View Post
                    Actually working on an 82 F100 with a Motorcraft 2150 and your application looks like what I need. So interested in an inexpensive solution for this "bushing" or "insulator". Please add the part numbers. Thanks.
                    I will have to dig out my extra bushing. It's in the package I got from the Ford dealer (and by package I mean plastic bag). It has all of the numbers listed on it.

Rockauto seemed to sell this same part for about $2, but heck if I could find it now on their site. I didn't end up going with them because at the end of the day the shipping to Canada would have put it close to the same price as the dealer.

I wont have a chance to find it today, but I'll make an effort tomorrow or Wednesday. If I find the Rockauto listing, I'll post that as soon as I find it too.

Comment

Here's the Dorman part:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=330&jpid=1

Looks exactly like the one I ordered from the Ford dealer.

Comment

I think all AOD bushings are the same, rod or cable.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks guys. I checked out the Dorman part number and it crosses to the Ford part E0AZ-7F330-A. Ford is getting a bit greedy on these as they list for around $7.00 each (package of 2 for 14.00). Since this little part can totally trash a transmission, it's good to change them every couple of years. Good information, and love this site. Best car folks in the world own boxes.

Comment

I assume the brass one fits???

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00052.html

Comment

Originally posted by 87Topaz View Post
                              I assume the brass one fits???

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00052.html
                              It should if the pin on the tv cable is the same as the pin the tv rod pops onto. They look slightly different, but it's hard to tell from the pictures if that's the case. If they are different I'm not 100% convinced that the retainer pin on for the brass bushing will work with the TV rod mounting pin, but like I said, someone else will have to chime in on that as I'm not too sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X