Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugly box wagon tailgate chrome

Dear Panthers,

When I took my 89 CP into the body man to derust a couple spots on the tailgate I said, "Oh yeah. And remove the ugly chrome trim framing the tailgate window."

But he can't. Turns out, what I thought was chrome is an integral part of two larger pieces framing the tailgate and including some of the (dew wipe ?) (It' helps seal the window). No way to lose the nasty frame.

So I told him: "Maybe next time."

What I'd like to know is if any 84-91 big Ford wagon DIDN'T have that frame. If not, I can swap & paint and never be grumpy again.

Donald

you can paint it, but I think all the big fords had that window trim in one form or another.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah they all have it. Paint is your friend. Be careful with that thing, finding good ones is not easy anymore.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Dear Panthers,
        Grind it down & bondo?

Donald

Comment

If you want to smooth it over, yeah... but I would just sand it since there's not much substance to that trim anyhow and then build up the panel it meets up with to match the trim's level. You'll want to leave the trim as removable as it currently is just in case you need to replace the rubber/felt that's attached to it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

You can remove it but you'll need to remove the rivets for the glass. Then you can access the screws/bolts that hold the trim piece , and the piece can come off - but yes that is a dew wipe attached, so...hard to not have it
            -Nick M.
            Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
            03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

You could paint it the body color. Might look good. My 79 was factory painted flat black.

Comment

Dear Panthers,
                I thought about painting it the body color but that'd still be a design element and not much better.You'd still have that odd, skinny oversized window frame.
                Besides, I can remove the tailgate trim but can't w/o doing something with the body trim. It's a puzzleent.

Donald

Comment

Maybe with some photos someone may come up with a good idea???

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Dear Panther,
                    I thought to use a stock photo until I realized that the stock wagon images all had wood patterned vinyl which I took off my wagon and the horsey chrome trim worked better with horsey vinyl. So here's the pic: Yeah, I know the spoiler is horsey too but I can fix that.

Donald
                    Attached Files

Comment

Not entirely sure where the attachment points are on that stuff. You might be able to cut it at the inner chrome strip to narrow it down but retain the sealing bits, but that really depends on how the thing actually hooks to the car. If the mounting bits are in the section that would be cut off, obviously that doesn't work. What I'm thinking would retain the shiny bit closest to the glass only, and the part that is currently tan and the outer, wider part of shiny would go away.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                      X