Valve seals or rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve seals or rings?

01 MGM. 170xxx Some slight pinging at decent throttle. Extreme pinging and tons of blue smoke on WOT. I've read around, and haven't done a compression test yet. Just getting some ideas. And if it is rings, it is worth having them replaced or just trying to find a used engine? Any thoughts are appreciated.
    2001 Grand Marquis LS

try a tank of premium.
    Try this first.

if you engine is carboned up it may require higher octane to keep from pinging, which is actually detonation that could bend things in there.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

you're pulling the motor either way... so it would be more economical to find a good long block at least if not a good used panther 01-04 motor (long block can be from mustangs 98+ as long as it's a 2 valve or panthers 01+ and there's probably more than that, but those are the years I know off the top of my head). I'd check the PCV just in case and make sure it's not just blowing oil by the valve first. Might be all it needs.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The 1996+ engines aren't usually prone to valve seal problems. The fact that it burns a lot of oil makes me suspect deeper, scarier problems. A compression test should tell, though a leakdown will tell more.

If it is the motor, I'd just swap it. Rebuilding a 4.6 is sort of a losing proposition.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep, those no shortage of pi 2v 4.6's out there.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Ill try premium for sure. And at least a compression test. Thanks guys

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
            2001 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

You can do valve seals with engine in the car. It's not fun but definitely doable.

Comment

The only time I saw that done, the motor blew up the next day. Valve shifted and hung on the head from extremely worn out valve guides. Piston meets valve, bye-bye. That turned into a PI swap, which involved an OBD-II conversion. So yeah, not fun.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  The only time I saw that done, the motor blew up the next day. Valve shifted and hung on the head from extremely worn out valve guides. Piston meets valve, bye-bye. That turned into a PI swap, which involved an OBD-II conversion. So yeah, not fun.
                  wee... my car is legend!

yeah... replace the valve springs too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                  X