Bought a used 04, ac blows hot air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a used 04, ac blows hot air

So I got a good deal on an 04 Grand Marquis. Its fully decked out, runs great, looks great, but the a/c compressor looks to be dead. It had freon in it but the compressor doesn't do anything. Is there anything I should check before just assuming I need a new compressor? Any know issues on these models I should look for? Thanks in advance.

KP

There's a leak or you need a new drier/accumulator WITH a new orifice tube thingy

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

check the high pressure and low pressure sensors. You should have over 90PSI on the low side with the system off if it really has a good charge in it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The receiver drier/accumulator is notorious for rotting out on 03+, see if it's leaking the alien blood.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Ok thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to add the system is charged. I actually bled it down and added more freon. So no leaks. I'm just not getting anything from the compressor. I will take a look at the the accumulator though. Will it just look rough/rotted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Low pressure switch and connector to the compressor would be the first two things I'd check.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

+1 low pressure switch. Try jumping the two wires and see if the compressor kicks on (even for a second).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If its holding pressure, the accumulator hasn't blown through. SOunds more like switch issues. These also sometimes have climate control unit issues. There is a relay on the board that breaks loose and the AC quits working.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I do have the climate controls. I'll take a look at that. Thanks

Comment

I checked all fuses and relays. I even jumped the clutch relay and the compressor never kicks on. After looking under the car it looks as it something is wrapped in the compressor. It looks like a shoestring to me. So am I safe to ahead and buy a new compressor and change it? Is it a difficult process? Are there any good write ups I could follow?

Comment

See if you can get whatever it is out of the clutch assembly. Honestly if the system is charged, I might go for just replacing the clutch rather than opening up the system and having to deal with evacuation and recharging. It would be cheaper too.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well I ended up very lucky. It ended up being the connection on the compressor itself. Just needed cleaned and put on tighter. I removed the rubber whatever that was wrapped in the clutch and charged the system and now I have cold ac. Thanks everyone who helped out.

Comment

Cool. Love non-involved fixes.

Comment

Working...
                          X