any experience with Continental tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any experience with Continental tires?

I need some new shoes for the Townie. Looking around at what exists in a tire that isn't made of used condoms or costs a small fortune, these seem decent:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....RatingsReviews

Any experience with these, or Continental tires in general ? Open to other suggestions too. Mostly I just don't want mushy tires, ones that can't be driven in the rain, and are somewhere in the realm of $100 each. Not sounding like SuperSwampers would be awful nice too.

The Bridgestone tires I have now have done me OK, but they are getting awful thin on the ground. They've gotten noisier and the wet traction has really taken a dump.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Continental tires are usually about par with Goodyear in my experience.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I had a set of Contitracs on my old work truck. They were OK for on the pavement, but the tread pattern wasn't aggressive enough for off road. That said, they wore well and rode nice and were quiet.
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What size rims are you running?

I have had several sets of Continentals on various vehicles. No experience with this particular tire. I have had four sets. One of which were snows. I experienced no failures like bubbles, blowouts or belt shifts. I was happy with the performance I got based on the category of tire. Two of which were moderate performance, one winter performance and the fourth a highway suv tire which came stock on the 08 escape. I have respect for Continental based on this experience.

Jay
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

225/60R16 tires.

I hope they're not as bad as Goodyear. Then again the only set I've owned were Eagle RSA's. Lousy in the rain, undrivable in snow, and lousy tread life. Fairly quiet, but thats the best thing I can say for them. Oh, I did get them super cheap, so I guess thats a plus too.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

Comment

I meant comparable grade Goodyear tire. And it looks like the grade is not the base all-season (which is shit). Looks more like a mid to upper grade all-season.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

These BFG's are what I have on the wagon. These are H speed rated with an A temp rating. I always try to buy an A temp rating. These tires are also available in a T & V speed ratings. I am satisfied with the performance vs ride trade off on the wagon which is somewhat similar to a TC in mass. Previously I had tried some summer high performance tires which handled great but rode like hell. Sold those and bought the BFG's.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

These Firestone's also catch my eye but I have not tried them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

I can see why you would be drawn to the conti's by their test ratings unfortunately they are only compared within their Tirerack category "Standard Touring All Season"
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I went through 2 sets of goodyear "integrity" on my '98 in about 2 years. Integrity was about the last word I'd ever use for those pieces of shit. Finally went down to firestone and got some firehawk wide ovals, which are still on the car with it's new owner 5 years later. They're almost worn out now but have been a great tire. They are quieter than the goodyears, have way better traction, and obviously lasted a hell of a lot longer. You might consider looking at Primewells too, that's Firestone's bargain brand. I have no experience with continentals except that my first mustang had 1 bald one amongst the other 3 mismatching tires, lol. Another good one if they still exist and you can find them, is Dayton tires. I put a set on that same first mustang, which then went on my zephyr wagon. Those suckers wore like iron, had great tread pattern, good traction, and were quiet. I like an H-rated tire because you don't get the harsh ride of the z-rate but still a good firm sidewall. My current tires are z's but they have a tall enough sidewall to where they don't suck. 255/50/zr17.

Comment

The test ratings are part of it, but treadwear is too. I don't really want these things to go away overly quick. I don't drive the car in winter, and honestly don't put that many miles on it but I want to be replacing them because they have aged out, not worn out. The wet traction is definitely a big factor though. A lot of tires that claim high performance just suck in the rain. I don't drive the car that much in the wet but I don't want to white-knuckle it if I do get caught out.

The BFG's and the Firestone tires linked don't fare as well as the Continentals do per user reviews. Obviously these are extremely subjective, so its hard to say. Several of the reviews on the BFG's specifically say they are noisy and harsh.

Comment

Ashley put BFG's on her Townie and I really like them. My Michelins are really old so comparing them is subjective but the ride is quieter and more comfortable than my TC. They're good in the rain too.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Tires are somewhat a matter of taste. Typically a better performing tire tends to ride a bit harsher. It depends on what is acceptable to the individual. As I said I went too harsh with the high performance tires and am content with the Advantage T/A ride. Wet performance is fine. Take them off the wagon and take a ride on them if you like. Just put them back in the same spots so I don't lose track of the rotation.
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I'm lukewarm on continentals in most car sizes.

I'd go with bfg in that size. Advantage for long trademark, gforce sport comp 2 for grip in dry and wet. I love mine on the mazda and have heard positive reviews from customers. Avoid the g-force all seasons, they seem to all wear goofy and not actually last longer than the sport comp 2.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

they're not amazing but they're not junk either.
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Ihad some 245/40/18s continental . Not bad except in snow . No grip whatsoever.

Sent while thinking of new mods for my 96 TC, using Tapatalk.

Comment

I'd call Continental Tire a tire. =-) I had an OEM set on a work van. Wore alright, but I'd never purchase a set for myself.

I do give a thumbs up to Firestone Indy 500 tires. A set will evenentually find its way onto the vomit comet as well. Much better in the rain than those POS Badyear RSA's.

If you need a round tire without any bent towards performance, Continentals will probably serve you well. Like a Michelin, they'll probably get old and crusty and real miserable in the rain before they really wear out.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                              X