No announcement yet.

any experience with Continental tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got about 68,000 on a set of Continental tires on the Subaru. These were used only for the non snow months. I kept them rotated. No problems. Bought them at Tire Rack. They wore better than my Goodrich that are on the car now. I think it is hit or miss on tires. Once you think one tire is better than something else, the better tire gets changed in some way. I bought two sets a couple of months ago for two cars. General Grabber HTS. Got them less than $100 out the door. They are not white walls. So far, so good.

Comment

The Eagle RSA's are indeed crap. Amazing, considering how much they cost too.

Still haven't pulled the trigger, kinda still weighing options. I appreciate the input thus far. Maybe I'll go in a different direction. The 800 treadwear is probably higher than I really need. Its not a commuter car so getting the utmost miles is not really a big deal. Something that actually will take a corner is certainly a priority.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have Contitracs on my VW. OEM equipment. I really have no complaints about them. They are quieter than other OEM offerings on these cars.

I was actually suprised at how decent winter traction was with these tires.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          The Eagle RSA's are indeed crap. Amazing, considering how much they cost too.

Still haven't pulled the trigger, kinda still weighing options. I appreciate the input thus far. Maybe I'll go in a different direction. The 800 treadwear is probably higher than I really need. Its not a commuter car so getting the utmost miles is not really a big deal. Something that actually will take a corner is certainly a priority.
          Its amazing how bad the Badyears are considering they have a 240 threadwear rating. Back in the 90's, Cooper Cobra GT tires had a 240 threadwear rating and they where excellent tires. Then the masses shows up and cooper decided to make them last long and they ended up with a threadwear north of 400 and where utter garbage. I hated every mile of those GT's since that happened and never bought another set.
          With an 800 threadwear, they'll be like michelins, hard as hell in a few years with lots of thread left and become marbles when it is wet.

Is there anything specific you are wanting from the tire? Easy to armchair quarterback this from here based on personal bias. =-)

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
            Its amazing how bad the Badyears are considering they have a 240 threadwear rating. Back in the 90's, Cooper Cobra GT tires had a 240 threadwear rating and they where excellent tires. Then the masses shows up and cooper decided to make them last long and they ended up with a threadwear north of 400 and where utter garbage. I hated every mile of those GT's since that happened and never bought another set.
            With an 800 threadwear, they'll be like michelins, hard as hell in a few years with lots of thread left and become marbles when it is wet.

Is there anything specific you are wanting from the tire? Easy to armchair quarterback this from here based on personal bias. =-)

Alex.
            Did the same thing happen with BFG Radial T/As and the like as far as treadwear rating? Hard to imagine the tires as they're sold today ever becoming legendary like they have.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Alex.
              I'd like reasonable wet traction, good cornering, and for them to not be loud. Snow traction is not a priority, and I'm not planning to drive in monsoons but I don't want to be screwed if I end up out somewhere and it rains. This is mostly a highway car, so I want something thats not rough and loud on the highway but I can still do an on-ramp or drive on a windy road without having to drive it like its my grandmother's car.

I had actually given the same consideration about that 800 tread wear. I don't want tires that are like rocks. I had that on my truck. No idea the number, but they were on there for years and would not wear out. It was absolutely undrivable in the rain and snow, and it wasn't amazing in the dry but damn were those things tough. I want to say the Bridgestones I have now are 460, and they have been on the car for 7 years and probably easily 40k now. I'm finally right near the wear bars, and the tires are hard enough that they don't work in the wet anymore. They are a little on the noisy side too but that may be related to age at this point. I don't remember them being as loud years ago.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Maybe look to a continental Dws. It's sportier and a bit softer. Haven't seen any problems from them. I'd push for something sportier, but pure summer tires seem to come in expensive (pirelli and Michelin) or kinda loud (kumho, bfg, falken, etc). My guess is that in a box Lincoln most of them wouldn't be too loud, but that's not a guess I'd make with 6-800 dollars of someone else's money.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

also consider load rating advise getting close to 2000lb rating as possible on a heavy car.
                  Last edited by turbo2256b; 07-22-2015, 07:17 AM.
                  Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                    Did the same thing happen with BFG Radial T/As and the like as far as treadwear rating? Hard to imagine the tires as they're sold today ever becoming legendary like they have.
                    Yes it did. Wish I could remember the original rating, but if you put a same size Firestone Indy500 next to a BFG TA, the indy 500 has almost an extra inch of thread width. But thats what you get when the masses start whining about short tire life, never realizing that that short life is what makes the tire stick to the road... literally. That said, I think the indy 500 has a 440 rating.

Comment

Okay, of whats on the tire rack, I'd personally pick one of these two;

Hankook Optimo. So far I've had good experiences with Hankooks.
                      http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Firestone Precision Touring.
                      http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Alex.

Comment

Yes it did. Wish I could remember the original rating, but if you put a same size Firestone Indy500 next to a BFG TA, the indy 500 has almost an extra inch of thread width. But thats what you get when the masses start whining about short tire life, never realizing that that short life is what makes the tire stick to the road... literally. That said, I think the indy 500 has a 440 rating.
                        Weak. I'm not 100% happy with my Mickey Thompsons, though they seem better than Radial T/A's in the same sizes. There's really nothing sticky/aggressive out there in a reasonably tall 15" anymore.

Comment

Those Hankooks don't seem to fare well in the reviews. The Firestones do much better in that regard, but the test results circle me back thusly:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=189

and that points me back towards the Continentals. Bah. I hate buying tires. Too many damned options.

Also, the Firestones are T rated. I had been sticking more with H because they tend to have less mushy sidewalls.

In the Grand Touring category, if you poke around by various user ratings, these really seem to rank well

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....romSurvey=true
                          Last edited by gadget73; 07-22-2015, 08:48 PM.

Comment

The firehawk wide ovals have a weird tread pattern unlike the others, and it bloody seems to work. They're not symmetrical, but they're also not directional, so can be mounted forward or backward on either side without trouble. My experience with them was great. After three different sets of "other" tires, the wide ovals were quieter, had much better traction wet and dry, and wore much better too. I'd be leery of something with an 800 treadwear rating, especially with regard to traction, but I imagine they'd also perform about like a goodyear polyglas from the 1960s in handling, etc. Far as the other brands go, all BFG's I've ever encountered were noisy and wore quickly, and Hankook(can't hooks) are not known for great traction, hence the nickname. I've talked to some who loved the eagle RSA's on the whale cars but after 2 sets of the cheaper goodyears I gave up on that brand. I know Michelin is a good tire as far as wear goes, but not sure about performance on a large car like this. Good luck buddy!

Comment

The Michelin Defenders on my 93 work very well - but they're spendy. I'll definitely be looking at new tires after SF for the 93 as I'll have some HPPs to populate. So I'm very interested in 16 inch meats myself in the H/V speed rating zone.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I had Cooper Cobras on my old Danger Ranger and went from 30-35mph on on/off ramps to 50-60 depending on if they were banked or not. They were quiet and improved the ride so much my grandma thought she was riding in a car, not a truck. They were still on the truck with good tread some 5 years later.

BFG's the GF has on her Townie are also quiet and comfy. Thing handles good enough for what it is and they've got good traction in the wet stuff.

My old Michelins are loud, dry and the ride is bad compared to Ash's TC.
                                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                                X