Shifting problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifting problems?

Gina Marie started to shake a bit when starting from stop, then around 45 starts to Rev high. She will get up to 55 it just takes a bit of time. Can you trouble shoot my girl for me?

What year are we talking about here?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sorry, 89

Comment

Stop driving it ...NOW! Most likely the TV bushing has failed, causing your transmission to shift all crazy.

This is thread should help. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ght=TV+bushing
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

+1 check the TV cable.

pics and stuff to see what we're talking about... http://lincolnsonline.com/tech/00052.html

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Check both ends. Mine fell off on the transmission end about 5 years ago. I pinched the clip shut and put a bit of grease on it and its been fine ever since.
            1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

The two AODs that I killed in my 89 were both due to clutches for 1st and 2nd having no friction material left. Driving and getting up to speed for the week before I could take it to get it fixed was not fun. Although it was more than just a bit of shaking as it tried to slowly get through 1st and 2nd with clutches that were unable to grab properly. Once it got to 3rd and OD it was fine.
              That experience is the first thing that comes to my mind, but it may not actually be your problem. If it is, a rebuild is in your very near future if you plan to keep the car around.

I've also had a bad spark plug cause some shaking that felt like the trans going again, so there is a chance that the problem is not your trans. I don't know enough to tell without riding in or driving the car.

The high rev around 45 makes me think OD may be going out. Losing OD is a common symptom when the bushing for the Throttle Valve cable lets go. Take a look at this thread: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ght=tv+bushing to start, but there are also many other threads on the topic.

If your problems are transmission related what you can do for now is check the TV bushing, replace with a brass one, and also make sure the trans fluid level is correct. Beyond that having a trans shop take a look at it will be cheaper if all they have to do is make some adjustments or change the trans filter and fluid. (Compared to if you keep driving it with problems that you can't address yourself and end up needing a rebuild.)

I took long enough to write a reply, 3 others have mentioned the TV cable bushing. Definitely start there.
              Last edited by VicCrownVic; 07-25-2015, 04:48 PM.
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I drove it home in D but OD was what was giving me problems. I'll let her cool down and check the bushing. Thanks guys.

Comment

Yup the tv bushing became dry rotted and fell off. Now to wait til Monday to see how much damageI did to my trans.

Comment

Hopefully a new bushing will be all you need, let us know how it goes.
                    Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

If you need a bushing I bought a 4-pack so I could mail you one. Let me know.

Comment

It only took a month but i finally heard back from the shop. And Vic u were right I'll need a rebuild. Is there a good place to shop around for a used tranny? I was told to rebuild would be around 1300.

Comment

Dang, this is one of those cases where I was hoping to be wrong.
                          $1300 is a decent price and if the shop is any good you'll get many years out of that trans. My current trans was rebuilt in 2006 for just over $1000, and that was 3 cars ago when it was in my dad's car 100-150k miles ago. Both Lithdoc and Mr landyacht drove my car and both commented on how nice it shifts. Oh, and you can ask DerekTheGreat, I'm not exactly easy on it either.

I'm not sure what that shop charges for an AOD now but I did have them rebuild a 4L60E in my 4wd Yukon last year (before I killed the engine) and that was just over $1400.

If I remember right you said you had family in the Thumb area. J.B. Transmissions in Almont, MI is where I go when I need trans work done, but that's a long haul from TC and it's in southern Lapeer County so it's still a good distance from the Mid-Thumb area.
                          Last edited by VicCrownVic; 08-26-2015, 09:52 PM.
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Can confirm, if you're going to follow Vic, be prepared for liberal use of the accelerator off the line haha. I think that was the hardest I've pushed the Fury in a single day ever. That car needs a higher stall convertor and shorter legs out back...

Not sure about your location but if Belleville, Michigan isn't too much of a stretch you might want to consider "Accurate Transmissions." Talk to Lou, he'll give you an estimate. AshleyTheGreat bought her '89 Town Car with a smoked trans, died the same way yours did except 2nd and 3rd gear worked just fine. (It started off in second) We dropped it off and they turned it around in two or three days to the tune of $1,106 IIRC. Came with a one year/12k mile warranty and I think Ashley has put just over 12k on it and it still shifts great.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Used transmissions can be a crapshoot. You may get one thats excellent, or one thats not really any better than what you've got now. I'm not really a fan honestly but sometimes money gets tight and you have to make a judgement call. I've done it myself, and it got me a year or so when I had no other choice. Look for nice clean fluid, and if its still in a car, make sure it works properly before it comes out.

If you're going rebuild, go with a place that has a good reputation. The AOD is notoriously bitchy to rebuild, and a lot of places just don't get it right. I've been in a number of cars with rebuilt transmissions that shifted just horribly. Most of them also died in short order, part of why I suspect the AOD has such a bad reputation as being a failure-prone transmission.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X