Mustang AOD into a Colony Park question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mustang AOD into a Colony Park question

I have a transmission out of a 1990 Mustang GT that I want to install into my 1990 Mercury Colony Park. Will I need the drive shaft spacer or anything else or will it bolt right in?

I don't know enough about tail shaft housing and drive shaft length differences, but I do know that you will need to swap the shift linkages.

Here are a couple of threads discussing that topic:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...sion+from+1990
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...=shift+linkage
    In the second thread, johnunit posted a link to a really nice video which covers the linkage swap: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post681458

The trans should bolt to the engine with no problem since the bolt pattern is the small block ford bolt pattern on both. If the tail shaft housing is not the same length I'm not sure if that will affect how it lines up with the cross member, so we'll see what someone who knows more has to say about that.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

IIRC, only the Lincoln transmissions were a bit longer in the tail shaft; should fit a mercury ok. Eric ought to chime in soon

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
      '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
      '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

It will bolt right in. You'll need to swap the shift linkage, and if your running it behind a lopo you'll want to swap the governor.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5 View Post
          IIRC, only the Lincoln transmissions were a bit longer in the tail shaft; should fit a mercury ok. Eric ought to chime in soon

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
            It will bolt right in. You'll need to swap the shift linkage, and if your running it behind a lopo you'll want to swap the governor.

Thanks for the reply. I am no longer LOPO. I have the Explorer Intake and GT40 head swap currently installed.

Comment

Which cam? Explorer or HO? If Explorer you still might want to swap to the lopo governor, if HO, self explanatory.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                Which cam? Explorer or HO? If Explorer you still might want to swap to the lopo governor, if HO, self explanatory.
                HO cam

Comment

you're good then. The Explorer cam runs out of steam not a whole lot higher than the stock lopo did. Its like 4500 vs 4200 or something. I could get mine to 4800 when it still ran one, but the motor just made more noise instead of more power.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X