Aod fluid recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aod fluid recommendations

I lost a good bit of fluid when I had it apart....I believe it had merc/dex 3 in it...

Stick w/3?
    Go to 5?

Talk amongst yaselves...

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

3 is fine for the old mechanical AODs. 5 is better though and will generally last longer. 5 is required for anything that uses a clutch type torque converter (which the AOD doesn't, that's the AODE and 4R7#).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

For something thats not a virgin trans I'd be fine with 3. Last one I had apart got whoever's Dex III that cost the least. Don't remember if it was Vatozone or WalFart brand.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I would go with the Dex V. I just had a service yesterday on one of the Lincolns . Any additional benefit that would prolong the transmission, I am for it.

Comment

DEX 5 is for Chevys and not really a good idea to put in a Ford trans (yes I know the original fluid was dexron). The compositions are a little different what with the friction modifiers and such. Mercon V is what Ford recommends in AODs.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
            DEX 5 is for Chevys and not really a good idea to put in a Ford trans (yes I know the original fluid was dexron). The compositions are a little different what with the friction modifiers and such. Mercon V is what Ford recommends in AODs.
            What would you use in my old AODs 1983-1990 and the 96 AODE. Your last sentence got me ? Thanks

Comment

i use dextron 3.......walmart has gallons for like 12 bucks

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                What would you use in my old AODs 1983-1990 and the 96 AODE. Your last sentence got me ? Thanks
                Ford recommends MercV in everything that doesn't use Type F or older stuff. The mechanical AODs do fine with MercIII especially if you keep to the 30K mile service intervals. MercV is just better. The 96 has the electronic transmission and requires MercV for the torque converter to have any chance of lasting.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Is MercV compatible with III? I've researched it a bit before and came to the conclusion that if it's been running III, stay with three but if you rebuild it, run V.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I don't know if I would use Mercon V in AOD. My dad used it one time on his 1992. Sure enough soon after the front tranny seal sprung a leak. It is a semi synthetic fluid. I don't know if it's thinner than regular Mercon but those 20 year old seals and clutches didn't like it.

Regular Mercon is also fraction of the cost so there is that. It works fine in AODs so I would continue to use it. If you rebuild the tranny, might worth looking into Merc V.

Comment

MercV is backwards compatible with MercIII. As with all trans services, new fluid will clean out built up grime on seals and remove lacquered up clutch material and may cause the failure in the transmission to be VERY present. So if the trans fails shortly after a service, it needed that part replaced already. MercV just does a better job of making things clean than MercIII.

Comment

Ok, well if you dudes have been adding V at service intervals to AOD's already running III then I will too. Had the filter changed some months back on my Townie but don't know what they used, have to look. Ash's trans was rebuilt and I've got no idea about that either.

Comment

I'd suggest gear oil, since a manual is the only kind of tranny you should be running.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
                            I'd suggest gear oil, since a manual is the only kind of tranny you should be running.
                            hush you!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post

Many manuals spec some form of ATF though...................

Comment

Working...
                              X