Aod fluid recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iirc my t-5's used redline mtl.

The Tremec TKO spec was for GM Synchromesh. A tech @ Tremec told me about a Pennzoil product (I think) that was much less expensive, I can check the bottle tomorrow

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

M5ODR1s use ATF, specs Mercon III IIRC. Chrysler manuals also run ATF. SM465 in our GMC runs gear-lube, 75W-80 IIRC. I'd try ATF in it but there isn't much that says you can do so successfully.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

yeah, most manuals run ATF. Try gear oil in one sometime. Have fun shifting when its cold

I honestly suspect most of the Mercon V recommendation has to do with Ford discontinuing original Mercon. They won't tell you to run Dexron anymore, even though if you look at the dipstick in a lot of these it actually specifies Dexron II (yes, two) fluid, which is a GM product. At some point they realized they could sell their own chicken blood, and did so under the Mercon label. When that quit being acceptable on newer transmissions, they superseded it with Mercon V. Since there wasn't a big demand for the old magic goat blood anymore, and since the new stuff would work in an older transmission, they simply quit making it and told everyone to buy their latest and greatest red juice. If you look at the commonly available fluid, it says "Mercon/Dexron compatible", not that it is actually the trademarked Mercon or Dexron fluid.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post

Many manuals spec some form of ATF though...................
          Including mine...

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

SM465 is a dump truck trans.. Super slow to shift compared to everything else I've shifted. You guys ever know someone who tried running ATF in one? I've read about a dude who ran 10W-40 in one before but it made shifting even worse, too slippery for the synchronizers I suppose.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
            X