Aero NPI turbocharging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aero NPI turbocharging

I've searched the forums, but on the subject of blown NPI engines, I have not seen much recently. My own 93 MGM has only 74k on it, isn't driven daily, or sometimes, even weekly. Won't race it, might pull a trailer, do a lot of highway cruising. Would like more power. I mean, intercooled turbo kind of power, like 370- 400 ft/lbs of torque. Can anyone point to a working turbo 4.6 NPI with 8 psi or less? Does all the plumbing for an Aero have to be custom-made?

I don't think you could pull that kind of power from a stock NPI 4.6 with 8 PSI, that'd be quite the pipe dream. Plus you'd need outrageous amounts of custom work and tuning done. Then your tranny would blow up and then rear end.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

93' heads and intake are pre NPI. They will choke when you put a turbo on there. I could barely brake 300 rwhp with 8 psi on my NPI Vortech setup.

Comment

Pretty much everything will have to be custom. You may as well do a PI swap while your at it, 91-95 4.6's aren't really good for anything other than burning oil.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

The only other person I know of who may have some info is this dude:

http://www.crownvic.net/drock96marquis/

Not sure if he did a PI swap on that thing, but I did see it years ago at Carlisle and its a damn clean setup. Different intake setup 96+ vs the 91-95 type.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

91-95 4.6s suuuuuuuuck. You could drop a PI 4.6 and then boost that.

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
            1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

Comment

Originally posted by 89TownCar View Post
              91-95 4.6s suuuuuuuuck. You could drop a PI 4.6 and then boost that.
              "91-95 4.6s suuuuuuuuck. You could drop a PI 4.6 and then boost that."

"You may as well do a PI swap while your at it, 91-95 4.6's aren't really good for anything other than burning oil."

###
              So, you're saying replace the whole engine, not just a PI head+intake swap?

Heck, if I'm going for a whole motor, and probably newer electronics to operate it, why stay with a 4.6 2v?

Comment

you can use the current electronics, just need to extend the wires to the injectors for reach around the newer intake... or splice in the newer injector harness. You can even keep the coil packs if you keep the timing cover. It would probably also run just fine with the stock shift points. Would need a tune to really use it though... and with boost, obviously would need a tune. You would definitely get more out of a PI engine though. You could also do the head/intake swap, but that would increase compression a little and seriously require a tune. Obviously, a larger MAF would be a good idea (again, tune needed) and larger injectors would be required for boosted applications. I would definitely want to replace the bottom end stuff if going over 8PSI. If I had the dosh, I'd replace the lower internals anyhow for reliability.

Also, take my advice for what you paid for it. I'm mainly regurgitating stuff I read here and other places before as I know squat about boosted applications.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Save yourself the trouble and swap in a 5.4 PI motor. That'll give you plenty of torque without all the ballache of custom turbo fab work and tuning. You can pick up a cheap 5.4 just about anywhere and if you play your cards right, you won't really need anything custom. Tuning would make it run much stronger, but it'll run without and give you more power. I'd look into at least sizing up your intake tract and exhaust. Turbo would be great, but is a ton of work. Just please don't put an LS motor in it. Please.

Comment

An entire engine swap? Heck, I'm only asking for 100 ft/lbs of torque more than the stock engine specs. You are right about the 5.4, though. A stock 5.4 Expedition motor will give me 355 ft/lbs. The weak 5.4 in my van does 320+ ft/lbs, which does okay pulling 7500# of work around.

Comment

Okay, no LS, promise. How about a 351 Windsor?

Still thinking this out: A PI intake swap will get me some horsepower, but I'll actually lose torque below 3800 rpm. The head and intake swap will put compression at 10.4. Enough to need premium gas, not enough power yet. The old van in the driveway has a 460, but there are no good automatic transmissions to go with it, and I don't want a stick-shift Mercury.

Comment

Okay, I did a search of the Aero/Whale Perf forum. Nothing on 5.4 swaps.
                        Let's see, pull old engine, pull old computer, find decent 5.4 PI salvage motor, find the right computer, make that computer work with my old AODE, decide to throw the AODE out and get a 4R70W that works with the new computer, put everything in place and hook it up.

That's easier than bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors, turbo plumbing and a tune? It sure ain't sounding any cheaper!

Comment

All right, obviously I need to do more homework and save a lot more money. 351W and a carburetor sounding better every minute.
                          Meanwhile, I'm pulling the Holley off the 460 for a rebuild.

Comment

my butt dyno likes the 274 ft/lbs and 230 HP at the rear wheels that my PI swap does in my 93. If I had it to do over, I would have stuck with the original electronics and just tuned that. The OBD-II hacked in works great, but the rats nest is rather complicated.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

5.4 swap is not worth it unless it's DOHC. With simple bolt ons PI 4.6 will be just as fast.

Also, PI heads and intake will work but that will raise your compression and if you want to slap a turbo on top of that might not be such a good idea. PI 4.6 with a blower and you will be at 400 RWHP without issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X