Seat bracket madness!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat bracket madness!

So my seat bracket decided to take a shit last week. It's been acting weird and kinda clunked now and then, but I got in the car one morning and it made a big bang and the back end of the seat dropped. Trying to raise it with the control just made some sad mechanical whirring and clunking, with no appreciable movement of the seat. This left me lowriding and feeling very awkward trying to drive. Yesterday, I hit the local boneyard in attempt to find a seat rail, etc. to replace my broken one. Found an '87 country squire with 52,000 miles on the clock. Judging by everything but the body, I'd say those were original miles but anyhow, I tore out the seat and yanked the track in hope it would fit my '90. Long answer short, it didn't quite fit but i managed to modify it to fit. This required drilling the left-rear floor-mounting hole in a different spot, and drilling a different seat-to-bracket hole i believe on the right-rear. I also had to cut off part of the frame on the bottom of the seat but it all worked out. It's in and working fine but the seat leans a bit. I stacked some washers under it and it's better, but still has a starboard list. Need to pull the whole mess out again and probably space it a bit from the seat to the bracket. Should have taken pics but was too busy cursing my luck. Once i get this thing level i'll be happy with it but what a ballache. Looking at the '87 track/bracket though, it's WAAAAYYYY better made than the '90 was, it having stupid plastic tracks which were the cause of the failure that led to this debacle. Good ol' Ford, always keeping me guessing....

Also replaced my IAT sensor, removed and cleaned my IAC again, and ran some seafoam through the bitch. All in all a fairly productive day and my car doesn't rev around wildly when i cold start it now.

Anyhow, will report when i get that seat out again because i want to see if my old seat motor will fit the new bracket, as the motor on that one seems tired. Will try to get some pics then. Thanks for listening to my gibberish.

The floor pans changed for the 1990 model year.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Find a 90-91. Floor pan is different. Wait pulling the seat out again until you find the right one. Just my opinion. I have done that job a few times. Always did the seat pans and tracks with the same year parts. Covers I have used from other years ok. I wish you the best.

Comment

Well here's the thing; part of the seat frame I cut off will preclude me from using a '90-'91 now unless I forego one of the bolts. It's damn-near impossible to find a box in a junkyard here, that wagon was the first I've ever found so I plan to pilfer everything I possibly can off it. The seat works as it is but it's just not quite level. Thanks for the info boys, but at this point I'm kinda married to what I've got now, not to mention the shitty plastic stuff on the '90-'91s will likely break as quick as the one that was on my car to begin with. At least the earlier stuff is all metal. Good times...

Comment

Unbolt it, wedge it up with a block of wood, measure gap, buy enough fender washers. use some flat stock if you have it if the gap is significant and a long bolt(s).

Comment

yeah, big hunk o' steel for a custom spacer will get the job done.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep, gonna pull the seat back out in the next few days and add some spacers(washers probably). If it comes down to something more severe, i'll take it over to my buddy's shop. He does some custom fab work so he could probably sort it out in like 10 minutes. Just don't like to bother him with my retard projects. I was super-proud that I even got the goddamned thing to fit and work right, nevermind the gangsta lean. This could be useful info though for folks who have the same problem, these things CAN interchange with a little massaging. Seems like there's more pre-'90 boxes around than my oddball fuckin' year anyhow. I seem to have a knack for finding the weird year of cars. '98 was also a mild hassle, being a transitional. Only worse bastard would probably be like a '92 panther huh?

Comment

I wonder if the seats from the earlier model aero's would work for a 90-91, like a 92 or something. Or are we pretty much stuck with either 90-91 or jerry rigging?

Comment

I think 90+ use the same bolt-in setup. I know the 93 and the 2000 look the same in that regard. Wiring however, that may be different (especially with door mounted power control models).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Don't quote me, but I think 92-94 seats are also a direct swap. IIRC they changed again slightly on the 95 interior refresh.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Shit that figures, now that I've buggered up my seat frame. Oh well, this will work until I put in the recaros because, racecar. Just kidding, I like my big puffy seats. I'll make this mess work but will be on the lookout for -94 seats. think there was one at the boneyard.

Comment

Dear Panthers,
                        A friend found a pair of Peugot 404 front seats in a New York State boneyard and is harvesting them and the tracks. Reason? They're as comfortable as Panther seats and fold flat into a bed. Should be an interesting mod.

Donald McCaig

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                          I think 90+ use the same bolt-in setup. I know the 93 and the 2000 look the same in that regard. Wiring however, that may be different (especially with door mounted power control models).
                          For clarity (just in case), by bolt-in I believe you mean that the 90+ seats will bolt to the 89- frame/rails which are bolted to the floor.
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

So in other words, Ash's 89 TC will not accept seats from a 1990-1995 TC without modification?
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                              For clarity (just in case), by bolt-in I believe you mean that the 90+ seats will bolt to the 89- frame/rails which are bolted to the floor.
                              right. 79-89 will bolt in each other and 90+ will bolt in each other, but the wiring may be different.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X