driveline vibe/shudder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

driveline vibe/shudder

hello all... my 2001 MGM(196xxxkm)has been making a shuddering/ wobble/ vibration at highway speeds, it used to be unbearable, so i changed both u-joints, and it did help allot, although it is still noticeable at times, between about 85-100km/h. is when its most prominent, and when decelerating through those speeds its worse....anything over about 110 and its smooth sailing. i cant tell if it is doing it under 85ish or if my mind is just playing tricks on me. i heard of cases of torque converter shudder, and thought it may be this, would a flush help?
    Thanks, Ryan.

Based on what I've read, the way to see if the tc is causing it is to keep your foot on the gas while you lightly touch the brake pedal enough to activate the brake light without engaging the brakes. Touching the brake disengages the tc lockup. If the problem stops, the tc is the culprit.

When was the last time the tranny fluid was changed? And was it the right fluid? (Mercon V)

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Sounds like a wheel or driveshaft is out of balance. If you know the wheels are right, and the U joints are new, I'd suspect driveshaft issues. Might also be something is screwed up in the rear, unloading whacky bearings can make them shudder a fair bit worse. I would expect some extra whirr or howl noises if this is the case. Does it change any if you turn the wheel left or right? If it does, that might indicate either front hub bearings or rear axle bearings.

If its worse on decel, I doubt its torque converter. That unlocks when decelerating.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I am just curious, say its an out of balance drive shaft, would you just buy a new one? Are there places to balance them? junkyards?
        "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
        -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

There are shops that can balance them.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'd question wheels & tires before driveshaft at the speeds noted. If you got an second set of wheels, swap all of 'em out and go for a test drive.

Alex.

Comment

dunno, 110 is screaming. I had driveshaft issues that would make it shake like a bastard over about 75-80 mph. I never wound it out far enough to see if it found a happy place. Ended up swapping the driveshaft because that one had yoke issues too. Sometime in the past the U joints had been changed and the sealing surface had been chucked directly into a vise. Found the reason for the leak and the vibration in one go.

Comment

just tried out the another set of wheels and tires and its the same problem, so i am left with the conclusion that i think it is the rear wheel bearing. how much of a pain in the ass are those to change? on another note, about the yolk of the drive shaft, i do have a dampness of transmission fluid around my tail shaft/ yolk, i thought it was a bad seal and disregarded it after looking at the fluid level for a while with no change, but now i'm second guessing.

Comment

rear wheel bearing requires pulling the axle out... and possibly replacing the axle as it's probably pitted if the bearing is bad... so a rear axle rebuild basically happens.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    dunno, 110 is screaming. I had driveshaft issues that would make it shake like a bastard over about 75-80 mph. I never wound it out far enough to see if it found a happy place. Ended up swapping the driveshaft because that one had yoke issues too. Sometime in the past the U joints had been changed and the sealing surface had been chucked directly into a vise. Found the reason for the leak and the vibration in one go.
                    (it's in km, so that's like 68mph)

-ryan s.
                    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                    Originally posted by pantera77
                    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

meh, speak english, not metric

in that case, 68mph could be driveshaft.

Comment

Working...
                      X