No announcement yet.

Super Simple Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Successful? Yes. Smooth? Not so much. I got it done, but I did move some of the a/c hard lines to make it easier, one of the benefits to having no refrigerant left at all.

The IAC is mounted on the firewall right? I seem to remember it being there on my 87 5.0 Fox, it used to randomly jump to 2000 and stay there, I'd cut the ignition off then on quick and it'd idle normal. I'll take it off and clean it out, see if it helps. I'm sure all the vacuum leaks don't help either.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

mounts on the back side of the throttle body. Its the tubular looking thing with an electrical plug on the bottom.

vacuum leaks make these run real stupid. Fix those.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think I remember now, kinda looks like an old camera film canister.

I'll fix the leaks when I get a chance, gonna have to tear it apart to do it since all the gaskets need to be changed too. I'm hoping that'll solve a few issues.

Comment

Here's another:

Sometimes it doesn't want to start. If the engine is warm it'll fire, but if it cools down it doesn't want to crank, most of the time. Like after sitting at work for 9 hours, I'll come out and turn the key but nothing. I'll have to keep trying, sometimes holding it like I'm trying to crank, and eventually the starter will start cranking. It cranks and fires just fine, it's just it doesn't seem to want to initially crank when it's cold. I've checked the battery connection and it's fine, nice and tight. Could it be the solenoid?

Comment

could be, could also just be dirty connections, or the starter itself giving up. If it does this again, whack the starter and see if it goes. if it does, replace the starter.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It does it on a regular basis. The connections on the battery were cleaned up as it just got a fresh battery, I could try the connections on the solenoid, see if that helps.

Comment

I have the no start with crank issue on mine when cold occasionally. Typically it's fuel system bleed down and my lack of letting it prime first. Which means I probably need to change the fuel filter.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That could be it, haven't ever changed the fuel filter and it's on my list. The tank was mostly empty when it sat, didn't put any stabilizer in it. I've got a can of seafoam in it, trying to clean the injectors a bit and need to change the fuel filter soon.

I figure it's something electrical though, because when I try to start it, nothing happens at all, no cranking or anything. When it does eventually crank, it cranks fast and it fires quickly and easily, so by listening to it, it sounds like the starter is fine but it might not be, if it intermittently doesn't crank at all.

Comment

if it's not cranking at all, then yeah... check the cables from the battery down to the starter along with the wire to the small terminal on the solenoid. Also, ignition switch could be getting worn out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Once in a while mine gets sketchy with that little wire on the solenoid. It won't click when it does that though. If it makes a click, either the solenoid itself is dying, or the starter is. usually when the solenoid gives up, its because the starter is giving up too.

Comment

Changed the cap/rotor today, didn't seem to help, still has a miss. I had to bend the tabs a bit that hold the cap on to get them back on, so now it's a bit loose, not bad but not as tight as I'd like, could that be a problem?

Also gonna find a timing light to borrow, see if the timing is set correctly, could be slightly off for all I know, not sure that'd cause a miss, but what do I know?

Comment

Those tabs can be a bastard. I was almost going to bend mine when I went to put the cap back on but then I thought the OEM's didn't have to so I shouldn't either. If you seat the cap down fully all you should then have to do is press the clip up against the cap and then push firmly on the center of it and it'll pop into place. When's the last time this thing saw new plugs? Could be the that the one closest to the firewall on the passenger side is fouled out. I've heard LoPo's like to eat that valve stem seal and leak oil onto that plug, causing a miss.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I just changed the plugs about a week ago, so the wires are next but they usually last longer than 86k.

Comment

Not to mention they can last longer than 25 years. I've seen some pretty crusty stuff still in working condition. Ever look at the EGR valve and stuff? That's next with my car. Found out it isn't opening unless 4x the vacuum required is put on it and it doesn't open smoothly so it's anybody's guess as to if it's actually hung open a little. Stumble off idle is getting worse.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I've had wires die in 20K... and others last 200K... so YMMV.

Comment

Working...
                                X