Lopo knock, worry or no biggie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lopo knock, worry or no biggie?

So I'm starting to pick up what I believe is the dreaded "lopo knock". Now that my shitty-sounding smog pump is bypassed I can hear everything else going on. Car seems to run fine and the sound is very faint, but I'm very in tune with what my car is doing so every sound and smell is something I watch like a hawk. Should I get my ass in gear and do an HO swap? Does it matter? If I do a bunch of work to this motor is it going to scatter? Just trying to figure out what direction I should start heading. Thanks guys.
    adam

Post a vid!

I wouldn't worry about it and don't with the 318 in my Plymouth. With that car if I fire it right up you can hear it knock for just over a second and sometimes very faintly when its really hot at idle ::scuff scuff scuff:: Oil light is on even but no valve train clatter so its making some pressure. Put 3.5k miles on it and counting, been doing it since I got it running. I run that 50wt racing oil from Valvoline in it and of all the oils I've tried that's been the best.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I bought an '89 MGM seven years ago. It had just a tad over 100,000 miles on it when I got it. I noticed that it made a faint rattling sound like a faint diesel engine sound or faint lifter noise when it's cold. Not sure if this is the same sound you're experiencing. But, I still have the car, it still makes the same noise, it still runs just as good, and I've put 120,000 trouble-free miles on the car since I've had it (it now has a tad over 220,000 miles).

So, in short, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it really starts sounding really bad.

Comment

I have had one of my 89 TCs since new. It has 235k on the motor. It has had a knock since new. Many of the 89s were replaced because customers complained like it sounded like a diesel. I talked with a Ford engine machinist many years ago. He told me that in 89 a change in the manufacturing process was changed, corners were cut to save money. He named the process, which name I have forgotten. He said that the knock which was popular in 302s was nothing to worry about as long as oil and maintenance was properly done. Many a mechanic has told me I need a new engine. I try to tell them about the above comment. Of course it is not believed and I am told I am a know it all. I tell people only if they want to know.
        All I know is the motor runs perfectly, no oil burning, 22 mpg. I am happy, That is what matters I guess.

Comment

My car has knocked since before I got it. Currently at around 10K of very, very hard driving and it's still not seized.

Basically, don't worry about it until you see other symptoms.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

If you're concerned, check the oil pressure. If it makes any at hot idle, its fine. If its not making any at idle but it makes pressure at speed, its not too bad. They're pretty much screwed when you're running at highway speeds at no oil pressure.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Alright thanks guys. Yeah, it's very faint but like I said, I hear EVERYTHING. It consumes no oil, runs smooth, never had a warning light or any of that shit, so it's probably fine. I do drive the hell out of it so i'll listen to see if it gets worse, but it seems to not be a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                Alright thanks guys. Yeah, it's very faint but like I said, I hear EVERYTHING. It consumes no oil, runs smooth, never had a warning light or any of that shit, so it's probably fine. I do drive the hell out of it so i'll listen to see if it gets worse, but it seems to not be a big deal.
                Then don't worry about it. I put 50k on the knocking lopo in my old 91 wagon beating the absolute shit out of it. last time I drove it it made about 10pis at 70mph and Id still drive it across country.
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                X