No announcement yet.

1962 Jeep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'd be frame-swapping that back to the proper frame. Unless my eyes are much deceived, that is a 2wd frame. I'm most definitely not a Jeep guy, but whats the point of one if it doesn't even have four wheel peel?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah it's 2wd, but I'm not looking to mud it or jump snowbanks in it, just want it for a cheap convertible. Test the old adage that 'chicks dig convertibles.' Uncle was straight up front about it being 2wd and thought I wouldn't want anything to do with it.

And with the 62-90 hp max 2.5L 4cyl Iron Duke, it's not winning any races even at 2200lb curb weight. Basically about 1/2 the weight & half the power of a stock panther. Manual transmissions are cool though, want to keep that.

First words out of oldest nephew's mouth when he saw it: "I want it."

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
      Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 08-28-2015, 10:12 PM.
      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Seeing as it's so bastardized already, the last thing I'd put back in is an Iron Puke. A 4.3 or SBC of your choice would be loads of fun. Or if you really want to have fun... https://youtu.be/3hy0oDAQ1tE

Also, tow dollies are pretty much the worse thing ever. I hate towing with them so much.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

If I'm reading the internet right the SBCs bolt right up to that iron duke transmission don't they? I dunno, my dad knows a guy in town that used to work in a chebby garage so he might be able to come out and take a look at it, if we can catch him and talk him into it. I've found a few Iron Dukes but the ones that don't have rusted-through oil pans and aren't in pieces are like 2-3 hours away and they are not interested on budging on price.
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

NO. The iron duke is a small pattern, and a bit of a bastard pattern. A SBC and a 4.3v6 are a standard (to me anyway) bellhousing.

Is the starter on the passanger or drivers side? (I havn't looked at the pics yet, waiting for them to load)

If have an S10 frame, you have lots of possibilities, right down to even swapping in another complete s10 frame and drivetrain. What you need to do is take lots of pictures underneath, front to back and look for frame modifications. It may have been chopped to fit the jeep body better.
            Get to know that jeep inside and out as it is right now. No telling what sort of mix-n-match has been done at this point.

Liscence plates: I've had very good luck using Testors model paint to touch up a plate. The nice thing is with the range of colors they do have you can mix your own color brew to match something. I've used it successfully to match both emblem and liscense plate colors. No idea what the paint costs now, but back when I built models as a yoot I had enough colors and time already spent making my own it was a fairly quick process to determine what I'd need to mix together. I also did not need to paint an entire plate, but it is an option to consider. I guess the other question is, is testors model paint still an enamel? Or has it been greenified and made "safe"? in which case I wouldn't trust it out in the sun.

Alex.

Comment

Flicker ain't cooperating with me today.
              a link for you to peruse;
              http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w..._transmissions

What sort of space is there around the existing engine with the body work? (room for a v engine, or stuck with an inliner)

Alex.

Comment

Talked to my old neighbor, whose work slows down in the winter (he reseals airport tarmac etc) they putter around the shop & maintain the equipment during the slow time. We're looking at best option being pull the body off, put it in storage unit or under a patio/carport that's off to side of his 2-bay detached home garage (with pit), and roll the frame in to take all the rust off and swap something in to the existing transmission and new clutch time (IF it's solid/savable). Rewire it with a painless 4-banger S10 kit (they must sell them) or something else if a good deal comes up. I really just want to keep it light and driveable. He said he rode in a v8 Jeep and it was scary as hell with the manual brakes.

Best part, he said he doesn't want any money. Of course I'll insist he take SOME cash if/when it's done & I'll drop by with the occasional 30 pack and to help out on it as much as possible. Work is going to 5, 8 hour shifts instead of 4 10's so I'll be in the area and could work on it and still get my sleep and such every night/day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20339686893_5baca1255c_z.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1278181Click image for larger version

Name:	20773941869_3a8f289964_z.jpg
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1278182Click image for larger version

Name:	20950899322_93610a5b46_z.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1278183Click image for larger version

Name:	20339651633_2d9052c78f_z.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1278184Click image for larger version

Name:	20772645380_9a7b7bcf74_z.jpg
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1278185

There's some idea of engine bay size for you on here.

I found a '92 Wrangler chassis, 4wd, etc, but the wheelbase is probably way too long. http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/pts/5163857248.html

I don't think they cut down the frame on this because of the boxed steel plate ends before the bumpers, I dunno Click image for larger version

Name:	20968110791_c32e4347b1_z.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1278186Click image for larger version

Name:	20772622010_0325dfd600_z.jpg
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1278187Click image for larger version

Name:	20772793068_e89763bb62_z.jpg
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	1278188

Comment

Got a 1967 CJ-5 frame with axles and stuff, came with set of poly spring bushings, so we redid those. I picked up two bottles of Por-15 degreaser & metal prep, as well as 1 qt & 1 gallon cans of Por15. Click image for larger version

Name:	img_20160107_175028601_24324408075_o.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1278692Click image for larger version

Name:	img_20160107_175032639_24324412365_o.jpg
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1278693

Comment

Looks like you are going to make something worthwhile.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Okay, now I am on the hunt for a Jeep Forum, I signed up on jeep-cj.com but I didn't get any emails, it won't recognize my password, and won't reset the password either. Apparently a common complaint with that site. Anybody have any recommendations for a decent & active CJ Jeep site?

Oh, and by way of update on this, We're por-15ing the frame tonight, and painting over it. I am going with a 4 cylinder Iron Duke that's attached to a Ford T-5 manual transmission that comes all together with the transfer case out of an '81 CJ7. Unless that gets sold out from under me. I'm not certain but the bellhousing to connect to the Ford transmission may allow a direct swap to a 305/350 chevy V8, but I will not be doing that. I read in some forums how the Camaro guys like those for putting Ford T-5s in their cars. Down the line *IF* I want more power, I will get a world-class T-5 rebuild and swap the bellhousing to a Ford 2.3L 4cyl and go with a TurboCoupe/Merkur motor with 190 hp. I'll probably have way too much in this by the time we finish it, but it will be worth mucho dinero for insurance purposes at least and it will be done right.

More plans as build finances allow include power steering and boosting the drum brakes. Also, could a moderator please move this thread to The Dark Side (non-panther reader rides) sometime? Thanks! More pics coming soon, especially of the old 1/4" steel skid plate that came with the frame & axles and has numbers and letters stamped into it.
                      Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 01-25-2016, 12:54 PM.

Comment

No need for a V8 in one of these. Its grossly over-powered. You could get the CJ7 with an AMC 304 and they'd damn near stand up on end if you dumped the clutch. The 304 was not exactly a massively hot motor either, its just a lot of power in something with no weight. A strong 4 cyl or a 6 will do the trick very nicely, though you run into possible length issues with a straight 6. A 4.3 V6 would probably be a hell of a fine swap in a Heep.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Don't know what the junkyard are like around you, perhaps a 5.3L swap. I don't know how a T56 would hold up to 4 wheeling; maybe a NV4500 would work better?

Whichever route you take, looks to be fun.

Packman

Comment

Some pics

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Comment

More, por15 pics

Comment

Here's the shortened, pinned s-10 frame.

The driveshaft was at a weird angle and would have torn ujoints up badly.

The gas tank was hammered/dented to make it fit under the body >_<
                                Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 01-26-2016, 12:17 PM. Reason: Added gas tank info

Comment

Working...
                                X