No announcement yet.

1962 Jeep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone make Heep to Duke adapter mounts? One thing about these is that people have done all sorts of crazy combos over the years and parts exist to do all sorts of things.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

All the swap motor mounts out there are for shit-canning the iron duke and putting in 258-6 or 350 chebby. They don't even make poly motor mounts for the iron duke. My neighbor can make some in the shop where he works when he's not on the road.
      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

WHat was the 4 banger that they used in these sometimes? I know the really old one was some flathead thing, but wasn't there an OHV engine used by AMC in these too? I thought maybe that was a Duke.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

In '83 or so Chrysler/AMC came out with their own 2.5L (not to be confused with the 2.5L Iron Duke), they used it through 2002. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_straight-4_engine The iron duke has intake on passenger side, exhaust on driver's side, the goofy AMC engine put the intake and exhaust on the same side, enjoy your hot air! Really the difference between them was 20 hp or so. This Iron Duke I got should have 90hp which should be plenty for now, and you almost can't kill them.

If nothing else with this project, I'm learning a lot more about vehicles other than Fords!
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Ah. I thought perhaps it was just a re-branded Chevy engine, in which case motor mounts would be a piece of cake. AMC was good for using a complete hodge-podge of stuff, so you never really knew what you were getting on any particular vehicle.

Comment

Holy Shnikies is this thing gonna sit sofaking high. I need to do 5" body lift to clear the drivetrain.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Comment

Also, here's what we found under the stick shiftermud all in there? weird corrosion. And two plastic pieces I promptly lost.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Comment

5" lift? What hits?

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    5" lift? What hits?
                    Transmission hits one side of the tunnel keeping body crooked from lining up with mounts and stuff. Especially the one dead center in the front.

Comment

will it clear if you move the engine forward? Most manuals are pretty skinny once you get beyond the bellhouse.

Comment

Tacked the motor mounts in already and are using the forward existing transmission crossmember mount bolts that are already there and welding new bolts at the right place ahead of those. Also have maybe an inch clearance between fan and radiator. The strap is still on the motor & tranny because it's coming back out to do the last of the welding, the ratchet strap may be in the way some too since it's looped around the door openings to lift the body with the chain hoist, and we may be able to pound some clearance out of the tub if need be. We'll definitely need to cut & weld some to make a hole for the shifters.

I haven't been able to find any body lift bushings for the 55-72? years. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can just use regular poly bushings, and a stack of washers in between if the bolts are long enough, right? Or would I be better off with nuts on the bolts in between the upper and lower bushings? There are only 7 mount points so the full set of bushings only numbers 14 (and is only $20).

Comment

I'd be more inclined to take hockey pucks and drill holes in them for spacers than a big stack of washers.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            I'd be more inclined to take hockey pucks and drill holes in them for spacers than a big stack of washers.
                            I'll definitely look into that, thanks for the suggestion. At least with raising it some I can be sure a gas tank will fit underneath it instead of the dinky underseat units they usually came with.

Comment

Thats part of the allure. Also, the gas tank is a self-defense measure. You know its under the seat, so you drive more carefully to hopefully avoid toasting your nuts. The small capacity is probably still good for more miles than you are willing to put up with it for.

Comment

Well that transmission looks trashed. Looks like it spent a lot of time sitting outside, without being covered up. I'd be surprised if it wasn't seized.

I assume you're kidding about the 5" body lift, since that would look incredibly awful and would be a relatively hack way to solve the issue. 2' body lifts look bad. Good work with the frame and I'm really glad that you're putting a CJ frame under it, instead of that S10 garbage. (I can't believe someone did that and thought it was a good idea..) Personally I'd do a 2.3 Ford motor, or a 4.0 out of a later jeep. Also, I do not believe that 190hp in one would be "Flip city" since that's still barely anything. But I do agree that a hopped up v8 has no business being in a cruiser CJ. Have you cracked open the diff covers to see what the internals of the axles look like?
                                __________________________________________________

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                                The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                                It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Working...
                                X