Towing with a 2000 Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towing with a 2000 Marquis

Is the transmission up to the task? I know I will add a cooler for sure. Looking at 3000 lbs.

Transmission currently seems perfect with no shift issues at all.
    2000 Grand Marquis LS
    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

I am also seeing the Watts rear end might not be up to the task...
    2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Pretty sure it's limited to 2,000lbs. in any configuration.
      These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

What will you be towing?
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

towing package is up to 5000#. I think the regular with 2.73/3.08 gears is 2000-2500#. Tow package came with 3.55 gears. if you have 3.27 gears, you should be able to do okay. 3.55 or 3.73 and you're golden.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'd J-Mod that trans before towing. Might as well do that while adding the cooler. Would be a good time to change the fluid and filter to give it a fighting chance.
            These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Originally posted by FordMan77 View Post
              I'd J-Mod that trans before towing. Might as well do that while adding the cooler. Would be a good time to change the fluid and filter to give it a fighting chance.
              +1 jmod

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                towing package is up to 5000#. I think the regular with 2.73/3.08 gears is 2000-2500#. Tow package came with 3.55 gears. if you have 3.27 gears, you should be able to do okay. 3.55 or 3.73 and you're golden.
                I thought it was 16-1800lbs without a tow package for the whales? I remember something saying sub-2000...

sigpic
                - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

could be. I have a 2000 with highway gears and could look it up in the manual... but I'm feeling lazy.

Comment

From the manual:

The weight of your loaded trailer should not exceed 907 kg (2 000 lbs).
                    The GCW of your vehicle and trailer should not exceed 2 993 kg
                    (6 600 lbs).

Tow package vehicles have higher ratings. Case in point... my 88 pulling my brothers 2800 pound tiberon (had his tools in the back along with him in it - base weight is 2550) had NO issues dragging it back to his place. Mine's not a true tow package though, but the only thing it's lacking at this point is the added factory wiring, power steering and oil coolers, and fatter driveshaft is that was a thing on the tow package cars (may not have been).

Comment

I suspect some of the down-rated tow capacity is to help sell trucks, partly for insurance reasons, and partly for sanity reasons. My Towncar with the tow package is rated to 5000. I've pulled about 4500 with it, and its fucking scary. Pulling is not the issue, control and braking is. Heavy loads will push the car down the road, and you get this "tail wagging the dog" thing going on. Not real fun on mountainous highways when the Towncar hitched to the back is shoving harder than the one you are driving. Much improved with trailer brakes though, you can manually apply them a bit and stop that sort of nonsense.

But yeah, absolute minimum, you want a trans cooler. I'd also give serious thought to trailer brakes, even if they are the hydraulic surge brake setup with the master cylinder in the tongue of the trailer vs the electric brake controls in the car. If you have any serious amount of tongue weight, a weight distributing hitch is not a bad idea either. They use a torsion bar setup between the hitch and the tongue to shove some of the weight to the front tires. Keeps the back of the car from dragging so much.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

3000 lb trailer. Have trailer brakes. Weight distribution hitch and sway bars. My plan is gears, air shocks, cooler and the jmod. Thinking about wagon coils if some will fit. And maybe an overall lift with taller tires and coils

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Maybe upgraded watts link bars

2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Airlift 1000 load helpers added to your stock coils might work better than cargo coils and won't give you the rake when unloaded.

Comment

Curious question. Could I drop in an older style rearend without a watts link? Or did the frame change?

2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Working...
                              X