Gas leak still /again

Ok
    90 wagon had a new gas tank put it with new filler neck seal
    Lasted 8 months and started leaking around seal
    So replace seal and 3 weeks later it's leaking there again
    Almost like its pressurizing too much in the tank
    And pushing past the seal??
    What to check?

Did they connect the vent at the top of the tank? Perhaps the new tank had a cap on the vent and they didn't reconnect the vent to the vent tubing and left the rubber shipping cap on it? That would allow the tank to pressurize.

Comment

Originally posted by Cmasucci View Post
      Did they connect the vent at the top of the tank? Perhaps the new tank had a cap on the vent and they didn't reconnect the vent to the vent tubing and left the rubber shipping cap on it? That would allow the tank to pressurize.
      +1 - involves dropping the tank though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The vent also has an internal check-valve thing that can gum up. If its stuck, the tank will build pressure. If you get the hissing going on when the cap is loosened, I'm betting thats the issue. Tank has to drop to get at it, but usually you can fix them by douching it out with carb cleaner until its not stuck anymore. I honestly don't know if new ones are available or not, I've never looked.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok so the hissing isn't normal.?
          When the seal was done
          The hissing and pressure comin( out the neck was a lot

Comment

It's not something I've ever encountered on any of my boxes, that hissing is not normal.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Mine hisses when I open the tank cap on the '82 Mark VI, but I had a Walbro GCA719-2 (255lph) pump put in.
              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

mine hisses from sucking air in... not pushing air out. I think the 82 Mark was that way too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

yeah its not supposed to be pressurized. The pressure should be pushing out of the vent at the top of the tank and fed into the charcoal canister up under the battery.

Vacuum isn't normal either, that probably means the internal check valve in the gas cap is stuck. The cap lets in air, the vent lets out fumes.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

it's typically just a little hiss... not a prolonged one... so probably no more than 2-3 PSI. And usually when the tank is very low. At least for the hissing I get. I'd also check the vent line that goes to the charcoal canister to make sure it's not kinked somewhere and not allowing the tank to vent if it is hooked up properly.

Comment

Working...
                    X